Re: SV: [Distillers] Re: Vacuum in glass bottles

  • bob johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
      hey everyone. theres been alot of talk about vacume stills here lately but i
      have no idea what one is because i just recently heard of them in this
      group. could somone plz explain it to me so i can understand what im readin
      a bit more?
      -thanks for reading
      -paul

    • Johan
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
        It is a normal still but the air in the still is removed with an air
        ejector or vacuum pump.
        When the pressure is low, alcohol and water will boil at a lower
        temperature (room temperature if the pressure is low enough) The
        advantage is that the quality should be slightly better and warm water
        is enough to make the mash boil.
        The disadvantage is that it is more difficult to cool down the vapor
        (since it is cooler) and the still needs to be 100% airtight. The vapor
        rush through the still faster and that's bad.
        Personally I see it as a fun experiment, and I'm curious about the
        quality. Theory is one thing, but practice another, some have had good
        experience with vacuum so personally I think it's worth giving a try.
        Using two bottles, with a little heat on the one containing mash will be
        a simple but maybe good enough still. For some reason it is fun to watch
        the mash boil in room temperature :)

        Johan

      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
          > theres been alot of talk about vacume stills
          > here lately but i
          > have no idea what one is

          See http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#vacuum for an explanation and a photo

          tony
        • bob johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
            hey tony i been all over that i could find looking for the distillers pic
            list and i couldnt find it and was hoping u could help me out again here. if
            u could that would be really good

            -thanks for reading
            -paul

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
              > hey tony i been all over that i could find looking for the
              > distillers pic list and i couldnt find it

              Look in the area called "Photos" at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers and

              Tony