96% Alcohol - Flogging the Dead Horse

  • smudge311065 <smudge@bigpond.net.au>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
      >Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      >
      >You only use carbon if you want to make the taste cleaner. If you
      >dont mind what it already tastes like, then there is no need to use
      >carbon.
      >
      > Tony

      Now that sounds like a cop-out to me.

      I thought this fascination with 96% was about an objective measure of
      quality. There's a distinction between something that tastes good,
      and a taste you can tolerate. I could drink my undistilled wash if
      didn't mind the taste and save myself a lot of time and trouble.

      I'm very suspicious of anyone that says the output of their hobby
      still requires nothing but watering back. I have attached a list of
      vodka brands and how they are produced. Am I to believe they go to
      all that trouble for nothing? Would they benefit from joining this
      newsgroup, perhaps?

      Call me cynical, but "not needing filtering" may have less to do with
      ground-breaking distillation techniques and more to do with the part
      of the brain that tells us our own farts smell better than anyone
      else's.

      If something is good then people will want to buy it. Ethanol at 95%
      is fantastic for removing sticky labels from glass jars, but as a
      drink its popularity is limited to two groups:

      People who make it themselves
      People who live in dumpsters

      Most (distilled) alcohol destined for consumption is, sold at 40%,
      distilled and filtered numerous times or aged for years, or both.

      Some may say it's unnecessary. Some may say it's a conspiracy. I
      think I know a fart when I smell one.

      Vodkas:

      Belvedere Vodka - Distilled 4 times and charcoal filtered.
      Boru Vodka - Quadruple distilled then filtered through 10 feet of
      charcoal made from Atlantic Irish Oak.
      Charodei Vodka - Uses a unique filtering system, discovered by the
      Minsk Institute of Technology. The vodka is purified through a
      natural mineral called Cremia, a black flint found in Belarus.
      Finlandia Vodka - Continuous distillation. Filtered through glacial
      moraine rock.
      Grey Goose L'Orange Vodka -A five-step distillation
      Pearl Vodka -Distilled five times and filtered six times before
      bottling.
      Stolichnaya Vodka - Double distilled using quartz and activated
      charcoal filtration.
      Tanqueray Sterling Vodka - Triple distilled
      Thor's Hammer Vodka -.Tripled distilled.
      Vincent Van Gogh Vodka - Distilled multiple times
      3 Olives Vodka - Triple distilled and triple charcoal filtered to
      remove impurities.
      Burnett's Vodka - Quadruple distillation and triple charcoal
      filtering process.
      Prism Vodka - Processed through a four-column distillation and
      multiple filtration
      Rain Vodka - Micro-distilled four times and filtered through diamond
      dust and charcoal.
      S. S. Pierce Vodka - 100% grain neutral spirits. Double filtered.
      Skyy Vodka - Four column distillation and triple filtration
      Taaka Platinum Vodka - Triple distilled and charcoal filtered.
      Burnett's Raspberry Vodka - Quadruple distilled and triple charcoal
      filtered
      Smirnoff Orange Twist Vodka - Triple distilled and filtered
      Smirnoff Raspberry Vodka - Triple distilled and filtered.
      Smirnoff Vanilla Twist - Triple distilled and filtered.
      Smirnoff Apple Twist - Triple distilled and filtered.
      Vermont Spirits Blue Vodka - Triple distilled and charcoal filtered.

      Sourced from http://www.maineliquor.com/products_lists_vodka.htm

      Nothing personal, I just had a bad week – does it show?

      Smudge
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
        smudge wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] 96% Alcohol - Flogging the Dead Horse
        Nothing personal, I just had a bad week – does it show?
        ===========================
        Chuckle!  Yes, it does a bit Smudge me old Mate!
        I reckon that a lot of the hype about filtering etc in those ads for commercial vodka is to enhance the notion that they have taken heapo trouble to provide you with a great product, hence the high price.  Some actually do need it, as they get their product from continuous stills.  Others will make a song and dance about how good their flavoured vodka is, and stress that instead of "filtering".

        For us simple souls, when due attention is taken to removing heads and avoiding tails, strength is a reasonable indication of purity.  However, a careful distiller (or an old pedant like me) will usually talk about both strength and purity to try and objectively describe a product.  At the end of the day, Tony is perfectly right ... it's usually just a matter of personal taste and preference ... and what you want it for.  I need high strength stuff for essences, but like the notion of labelling my next tipple Dead Horse Vodka (Melbourne Cup Special Reserve).  Got a nice ring to it :-)

        At the end of a bad week, just look on the bright side ... it can only get worse, so pour another drink!
        Mike N

      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003

          And you thought you had a rough week? How many bodies did you have to dig out of a train wreck and then scrape up a suicide off of a tall building? Then there was the drug overdoses and the phyco that wanted to kill any all, just because he felt like it.  Me I just withdraw into my cave and read the posts on this group, make booze and then drink it. Thank my lucky stars that I have the love and understanding of my wife. Write angry emails to incompetent management, and then sleep on them before sending them on…….. (I find that a career enhancing move)………alcohol is a crutch; I use it in a responsible way. J

          Yours in Spirit!

          Robert

        • BillyWeeble@cs.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
            In a message dated 1/31/03 6:44:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            smudge@... writes:

            << Nothing personal, I just had a bad week – does it show? >>

            Not that I wish you more bad weeks, but I thought that was an excellent
            presentation. Thanks for all the good info and insight.
          • Stevie <sambucca@nzoomail.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
              I trust you do now a fart when you smell one... If your brew has an
              odour anything like one.... I suggest you leave it on a good Hi
              activity carbon for a long time prior to inviting quests over..

              Thanks for the info on the various Vodkas and like Robert said, the
              Brew helps overcome the "bad week" if taken in moderation.

              Steve

              > Some may say it's unnecessary. Some may say it's a conspiracy. I
              > think I know a fart when I smell one.
              >

              >_vodka.htm
              >
              > Nothing personal, I just had a bad week – does it show?
              >
              > Smudge
            • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
                > Now that sounds like a cop-out to me.

                Nothing of the sort. Its just that some people feel that carbon is absolutely necessary every time, for something "magical" that it does to somehow make the brew safe to drink. Wrong. You only use carbon if you want to, for the improvement to the flavour. I was just trying to point out that it is your choice, not a necessity.

                Tony (who's farts don't smell)
              • Harley Daschund
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2003
                  Kind of difficult to provide an answer when the question keeps
                  changing...:>)

                • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2003
                    We must keep in mind that charcoal filtering was practiced in Poland
                    and Russia because the early product from commercial pot distillation
                    was terrible, and there was a need to remove congeners quickly. These
                    days it is more of a marketing ploy. For example Absolut apparently
                    uses a continuous reflux still, then adds congeners to give its
                    product a vodka character. Eastern Europeans will tell you vodka does
                    have flavor.
                    Wal
                    -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "smudge311065 <smudge@b...>"