Strip Run

  • Frank <headcavedin@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
      Would someone point me to some post# or where I might go to learn
      about this. Thanks

      Frank
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
        Frank - a stripping run is when you first run the wash through a still in a quick manner. This can either be through a crude pot still, or through a reflux column but without worrying about using any reflux. The idea is just to knock out most of the water there - eg turn 24L at 10% into 6L at 40%. The 6L is then redistilled again, but this time taking care.

        This has plenty of advantages - if you want to make say 100L of wash, but only have a 30L still - do the stripping runs first, and then only end up with 25L of brew to spend the time & attention on. Its an ideal way of not having to use high % turbo yeasts - just use simple bread yeast, make only 5% washes, and use the stripping runs to remove most of that water. It also means that you can remove a lot of the flavours, say from still having cloudy wash etc, and remove all that prior to doing the carefull run. Also, if your reflux column doesnt do high %, then by doing the stripping run, and starting the secound round already at 40%, you've given your column a bit of a leg up.

        Not everyone finds it usefull, I personally dont do it. But others find it handy.

        Tony
      • Frank <headcavedin@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"