hydrometers

  • Tom Noftsger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 11:52 AM
      Hi all,
      In a never ending effort to extend my knowledge of distillation, I
      have a question about hydrometers. My spirit hydrometer was broken
      by my 4-year old (that'll teach me to put it up when i'm not using
      it) and all I have handy is a Lab hydrometer (yes it is research
      grade and properly calibrated @ 60F) that only states the
      specific gravity. I just completed a test run of my "StillMaker"
      design less the lower cooling tube. I ran it a little fast (650ml in
      4 hours) and the hydrometer read 0.829. Can someone help me decifer
      the translation from specific gravity to %a. Any help would be
      greatly appricitated.

      Tom