Re: Nocino revisited

  • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2003
      in the northern hemisphere the target month is June. That is
      considered very late spring / early summer. I waited until the black
      walnuts were knocked to the ground after a wind storm. I gathered the
      nuts with the hulls still attached and cut them into pieces with long
      handled tree trimming nippers. Then soaked them hull and nut
      included in the alcohol. The nuts were still green all of the way
      through and were about half the size of a tennis ball. I would take
      a guess that as long as there is a clearly developed nutshell (but
      still soft) inside of the hulls they are big enough. The nutshells
      inside of the hulls should still be green.

      a couple of cautions: black walnut juice will stain just about
      anything it touches. and be careful to monitor soaking times and the
      amounts of the extra spices added to the jug. I let one jug set too
      long (3 months)in the sun and it was a thick mix that I had to filter
      and dilute in order to salvage. I also used more cinnamon than
      recommended in another jug and it was very noticable and almost
      overpowering. Another note was that I used 90 plus abv in a pair of
      jugs and that batch actually turned out the best of all. When I used
      50 ABV the finished product tested at 25 to 35 abv after soaking.
      The 90 plus finished around 60 abv. The vermouth experiment is
      still underway. I refilled the jugs after the alcohol was drained
      off with white wine.

      for filtering I used a plastic collander that fit the top opening of
      a gallon sized glass jug and cut pieces of cotton shirt material to
      fit. I filtered the heavy particles with the cotton and then followed
      up with drip coffee filters. The cotton filters can be rinsed and
      resued as many times as desired.

      just a few of the things I learned from last summer. if you have
      more questions let me know.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lynne <ellemm@i...> wrote:
      > One for Cornfed (Randy) since I know you've made Nocino (I've saved
      the
      > relevant post): The walnut trees are in full fruiting mode in the
      southern
      > hemisphere, although at this stage the green fruit is still only
      about half
      > grown ('walnut ' size ...) Are these good to go for making
      Nocino, or