RE: [Distillers] boiler ideas

  • Jeremy Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2000
      A GREAT boiler is an electric water heater, because
      it comes already fitted for the connection of pipes,
      and there is no danger of explosion. The only
      drawback I have been told of is the boiler is made
      from iron, but so far it has been fine for me.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2000
        I used a stainless coffee/tea urn...has built in drain tap..and 2Kw element and thermostat...$80 NZ
        Anybody out there have any ideas about what to use as a boiling
        vessel for a "stillmaker" type of column? (aside from a milk can,
        that is.)  Thanks in advance for any help.

      • Peter Sayers
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2000
          Hi Ups, you could try two large stainless steel "jam" dishes. Up end one and
          weld it to the other one at the top, ie at the top rim. You would have to
          get a hole cut in the top one to site your tower, and a couple of holes in
          the bottom one for your elements.The tower would have to be removable in
          order to clean the boiler but at least you would havea non ferrous
          container.
          Regards Pete at Brewers Barn

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
            Hi Aaron you could use two "Large jam Pan type vessels and weld them together, this should make a container that will hold at least 25-30 litres. This then forms a decent amount of wash to distill at one go.
            regards Pete at Brewers Barn

            Aaron Smith wrote:

             an old or new urn (water boiler) works just fine.

            Anybody out there have any ideas about what to use as a boiling
            vessel for a "stillmaker" type of column? (aside from a milk can,
            that is.)  Thanks in advance for any help.

          • Aaron Smith