solder getting into the distillate?

  • BillyWeeble@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003
      In a message dated 1/26/03 4:28:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      adriansmith1@... writes:

      << where i'd soldered (lead free) the cooling tubes through the main column,
      solder had run inside the tube. Looking down the end of the main column you
      can see beads of solder. Is there a problem with the alcohol vapour refluxing
      and running over this solder is there any chance of components of the solder
      getting into the distillate? >>

      Hiya Adrian, I'm not an everyday 'net person, so explains delayed
      reactions. Am suprised nobody answered this already... Lead free is mainly a
      mix of silver and tin, I believe, but there might be others simply because it
      can be done. Those metals shouldn't oxidize much in such an acidic
      environment such as copper does. A friend mentioned the possibility of copper
      poisoning as his excuse for not even tasting my grog. An unfounded response,
      but this prodded me into thoroughly cleaning the still before the secondary
      runs to ensure all the oxidized copper (and nasty crud) was washed out from
      the "stripping" runs, especially past the column on the way out. Not paranoid
      - just careful. Well, the distillate from the second run sure tasted pretty
      so that's the program now.
      My blobs of solder snag the scrubbers as they go in and out of the
      column. If that's the worst thing they'll do then that's bad enough.
      Glad to hear your're having a good time with your new hobby. It's the not
      knowing stuff that's the hardest part. Good luck...!