Daniel Young's 1861 Reference

  • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003
      We know about 'The Household Encyclopedia' printed in 1881, but I
      came across another similar book printed in Toronto in 1861 -
      'Young's Demonstrative Translation Of Scientific Secrets Or A
      Collection Of Above 500 Useful Receipts On A Variety Of Subjects'.
      http://www.blackmarket-press.com/info/books/Youngs.htm
      also
      http://www.cell2000.net/beowulf/newpage207.htm
      (the site http://www/cell2000.net/beowulf is interesting itself)
      Recipes 48 to 100 deal with various beverages including French Brandy
      imitations. Recipe 93, 'TO IMPROVE THE FLAVOR OF NEW WHISKEY' could
      be useful to try. I have scaled it down to 1 quart or 1 litre.

      Raw whiskey 1 litre (1 qt)
      Tea (leaves?) 30 g (1 oz)
      Allspice (pimento) 30 g (1 oz)
      Caraway seed 30 g (1 oz)
      Cinnamon 15 g (1/2 oz)
      Steep for 7 days

      Recipes 95 and 96 use dried peaches to flavor 'good common whiskey'
      which is in line with 'Southern Comfort'.

      Some of the suggested ingredients (e.g. sweet spirits of nitre) are
      not recommended by government health authorities.

      Here is a partial glossary for some of the obscure terms:

      scruple - Apothecary measure = 20 grains or about 1.6 grams
      calomel - mercurious chloride (a purgative)
      sweet spirits of nitre - ethyl nitrite
      kino - gum from 'Pterocarpus marsupium' tree from India
      aqua ammonia - NH4OH. A solution of ammonia in water
      extract of rhatany - from root of the shrub Krameria triandra from
      Peru
      syrum - serum (?), syrup

      Wal

      Wal