Gelatin Clarifier

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
      Does anyone have any information on gelatin used as a clarifying agent?

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Bryn Tucker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
        I use it all the time to clarify the mead I make. Made from cow and horse hoof. I usually add it just before bottling. Usually I dissolve about 1 tablespoon of gelatin in 1 pint of water, gently heating until dissolved. Don't boil it, or the gelatin will break down. Slowly pour it in and let it sit for at least a few hours. I usually let it sit overnight.

        -Bryn

        > Does anyone have any information on gelatin used as a clarifying agent?
        >
        > I can be wrong I must say.
        > Cheers, Alex...
      • Mark M
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
          Consider boiling the water first to sanitize it (and drive off chlorine).
          Then let it cool a bit before adding gelatin. 1 level tablespoon to 1 pint
          of water premix, then add to 5gal wash. In metric, I think that's about
          30ml to .5L premix, added to 20L wash.

          >From: Bryn Tucker <bryn@...>
          >To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Gelatin Clarifier
          >Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:38:30 (PST)
          >
          >I use it all the time to clarify the mead I make. Made from cow and horse
          >hoof. I usually add it just before bottling. Usually I dissolve about 1
          >tablespoon of gelatin in 1 pint of water, gently heating until dissolved.
          >Don't boil it, or the gelatin will break down. Slowly pour it in and let it
          >sit for at least a few hours. I usually let it sit overnight.
          >
          >-Bryn

        • Johan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
            Meddelande
            Interesting you should ask this, I've been trying to find a clarifying agent myself latest days.

            I'm looking for a fast effective and cheap clarifying agent. Since I'm not going to drink the mash it doesn't matter if it gives taste.
            I've tried potassium permanganate  in the mash, that works but it also react with the mash itself. Maybe gelatin is the best one.

            Johan

            Does anyone have any information on gelatin used as a clarifying agent?

            I can be wrong I must say.
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Shane Kirkman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30, 2003
              >>Does anyone have any information on gelatin used as a clarifying agent?
              A clarifying agent I have used is 1/4 of an egg white whisked up with a 1/2 litre of the wash then stirred in, I saw the tip on a beer brewing site .

              Eat Drink Smoke & be Good
              SHANE