RE: [Distillers] Yeast recycling

  • Rob van Leuven
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2000
      Go Music

      -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
      Van: darryn [mailto:darryn@...]
      Verzonden: woensdag 1 januari 1997 10:55
      Aan: Distillers@egroups.com
      Onderwerp: [Distillers] Yeast recycling

      Hi Everybody

      I'm half way through an experiment that may be of interest to some of you.

      I have noticed that there is a lot of yeast on the bottom of my fermenting bin after I empty out the wash,a lot more than I put in at the start.I use Alcotech Turbo 8Kg.Last weekend I added a litre of water to the yeast  left on the bottom and collected it in a glass bottle.Then I rinsed out my fermenter and added the sugar and water as usual.After that I added the yeast slurry and aerated well.I put it into a room at about 19C.Checked after 1 day and had no action in the airlock so I aerated again and bumped up the room temp to 22C.Checked again 1 day later and it was bubbling nicely but, not quite as fast as usual.Sunday has come around and it is still bubbling nicely.

      I'm not sure if it will ferment out all off the sugar because I didn't add any nutrients for this test but I will let you know how it goes.

      Has anyone else tried this ? If so how did you go ?

      Keep on drinkin'

      Darryn

      Hi, Darryn,

      You can actually use the residue to start another batch because it contains live yeast; however, it also contains a lot of dead yeast and other sediments. So every time you start a batch this way, you add a fair amount of undesirable stuff to your mash; this is exactly the sort of material you want to leave behind, when you syphon your wine or beer off the sediment for clearing. If you really want to keep using the same yeast, you must grow new yeast cells out of a small quantity of live yeast, but this is not easy for the average amateur. If you want to be sure that your fermentation runs without problems, then stick with the pure live yeast you can buy such as the different turbo’s.

      Regards, Rob

    • Deb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2000
        Go Music
        Because of the question about reusing yeast, I'm wondering if any of you guys reuse your mash?  If so, how many successful times?  After draining the liquid from our mash the first time we have added more sugar yeast and water and let ferment again--the second always cooks much smoother and ferments a little quicker.  Just wondering if anyone has tried this more times and what the result is.

        Deb Brewer

        witchwriter@...

        ICQ #13688671