RE: [Distillers] Thumper questions

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
      > Please let me know, I have a food sciences major saying
      > "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.

      The thumper is simply acting as a second distillation stage. Once its
      fully saturated with alcohol (hence better to start with something already
      containing alcohol), and up to temperature, the vapour leaving it will be
      doing the equivalent of a second distillation (usng the incoming vapour as
      the heat source).

      Check out the wee applet at
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm ...set it to 2 stages
      ... so the vapour leaving a 15% wash will be coming off at 65%, once going
      through a second stage (the thumper) it will be at 85% (not impossible !)

      See some of the Moonshine still photos at
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/moonshine.htm for some examples of
      thumpers.

      Tony
    • Dan or Barbara Gill
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2000
        I also found the thumper thread interesting. When I resurrected a
        century old copper pot still (25 gal capacity), I ran the vapor into the
        sealed top of an insulated empty gallon jar and then into the condenser
        coil. During a run, I will collect maybe a pint or two water but I don't
        run the vapor through it. The thumper soon reaches distillation temps
        and double distills very well. I can consistently run high quality eau
        de vie and corn whiskey (traditional moonshine). I don't have any test
        equipment, but believe I am running about 85% because a 50% cut still
        burns blue and has a good kick. I still haven't mastered the bead test
        and would like to find a better low tech guide for a/v. Local
        affectionados have told me it is the best moonshine they ever had - no
        small praise considering the depth of experience.

        Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

        > > Please let me know, I have a food sciences major
        saying
        > > "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.
        >
        > The thumper is simply acting as a second distillation
        stage. Once its
        > fully saturated with alcohol (hence better to start
        with something already
        > containing alcohol), and up to temperature, the vapour
        leaving it will be
        > doing the equivalent of a second distillation (usng
        the incoming vapour as
        > the heat source).
        >
        > Check out the wee applet at
        > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm
        ...set it to 2 stages
        > ... so the vapour leaving a 15% wash will be coming
        off at 65%, once going
        > through a second stage (the thumper) it will be at 85%
        (not impossible !)

        > See some of the Moonshine still photos at
        > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/moonshine.htm
        for some examples of
        > thumpers.
        >
        > Tony

        > Get 6 months of FREE* MSN Internet access!

        http://click.egroups.com/1/5727/7/_/441693/_/962524293/

        ********* New e-mail address dgill@... ********

        Please note new URL: http://www.velvitoil.com/index.html
        Barbecue, curing and smoking meat, Woodworking and more