Re: [Distillers] Yeast recycling

  • gbking
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2000
      darryn wrote:

      > Hi Everybody
      > I'm half way through an experiment that may be of interest to some of
      > you.
      > I have noticed that there is a lot of yeast on the bottom of my
      > fermenting bin after I empty out the wash,a lot more than I put in at
      > the start.I use Alcotech Turbo 8Kg.Last weekend I added a litre of
      > water to the yeast left on the bottom and collected it in a glass
      > bottle.Then I rinsed out my fermenter and added the sugar and water as
      > usual.After that I added the yeast slurry and aerated well.I put it
      > into a room at about 19C.Checked after 1 day and had no action in the
      > airlock so I aerated again and bumped up the room temp to 22C.Checked
      > again 1 day later and it was bubbling nicely but, not quite as fast as
      > usual.Sunday has come around and it is still bubbling nicely.
      > I'm not sure if it will ferment out all off the sugar because I didn't
      > add any nutrients for this test but I will let you know how it goes.
      > Has anyone else tried this ? If so how did you go ?
      > Keep on drinkin'
      > Darryn
      >
      > [Image]
      >
      > [Image]
      >
      > [Image]
      I've been putting thru 2 bathes per pack of yeast for some time now, I
      just add the water and suger straight to the barrel after transfering
      the fermented wash to the still and also add about 75 grams of yeast
      nutrient. It tkes a day or two longer to work out but thats no problem.
      I did try 3 batches once but the 3rd lot was very slow. Where I live the
      tap water is clorinated so I suspct that this may have affected the
      yeast.
      Graeme