RE: [Distillers] Thumper questions

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2000
      Sometimes we fill it with mash and sometimes tails.  Depends on which has a higher content of alcohol and whether or not we have any tails.  We never fill it with water.

      Deb Brewer

      witchwriter@...

      ICQ #13688671

      .:*W*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*C*:._.:*H*:._.:*W*:._.:*R*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*E*:._.:*R*:.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
        > Please let me know, I have a food sciences major saying
        > "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.

        The thumper is simply acting as a second distillation stage. Once its
        fully saturated with alcohol (hence better to start with something already
        containing alcohol), and up to temperature, the vapour leaving it will be
        doing the equivalent of a second distillation (usng the incoming vapour as
        the heat source).

        Check out the wee applet at
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm ...set it to 2 stages
        ... so the vapour leaving a 15% wash will be coming off at 65%, once going
        through a second stage (the thumper) it will be at 85% (not impossible !)

        See some of the Moonshine still photos at
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/moonshine.htm for some examples of
        thumpers.

        Tony
      • Dan or Barbara Gill
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2000
          I also found the thumper thread interesting. When I resurrected a
          century old copper pot still (25 gal capacity), I ran the vapor into the
          sealed top of an insulated empty gallon jar and then into the condenser
          coil. During a run, I will collect maybe a pint or two water but I don't
          run the vapor through it. The thumper soon reaches distillation temps
          and double distills very well. I can consistently run high quality eau
          de vie and corn whiskey (traditional moonshine). I don't have any test
          equipment, but believe I am running about 85% because a 50% cut still
          burns blue and has a good kick. I still haven't mastered the bead test
          and would like to find a better low tech guide for a/v. Local
          affectionados have told me it is the best moonshine they ever had - no
          small praise considering the depth of experience.

          Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

          > > Please let me know, I have a food sciences major
          saying
          > > "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.
          >
          > The thumper is simply acting as a second distillation
          stage. Once its
          > fully saturated with alcohol (hence better to start
          with something already
          > containing alcohol), and up to temperature, the vapour
          leaving it will be
          > doing the equivalent of a second distillation (usng
          the incoming vapour as
          > the heat source).
          >
          > Check out the wee applet at
          > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm
          ...set it to 2 stages
          > ... so the vapour leaving a 15% wash will be coming
          off at 65%, once going
          > through a second stage (the thumper) it will be at 85%
          (not impossible !)

          > See some of the Moonshine still photos at
          > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/moonshine.htm
          for some examples of
          > thumpers.
          >
          > Tony

          > Get 6 months of FREE* MSN Internet access!

          http://click.egroups.com/1/5727/7/_/441693/_/962524293/

          ********* New e-mail address dgill@... ********

          Please note new URL: http://www.velvitoil.com/index.html
          Barbecue, curing and smoking meat, Woodworking and more