Thumper questions

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2000
      I just read the posts by Tony and Deb about Deb's still.(yeah, I know
      it happened in May, I'm playing catch-up, I just joined.) From what
      I saw (correct me if i'm wrong), Deb has a 5 gallon still, the output
      of which is going into the bottom of a 1 gallon thumper that has been
      filled with 1 quart of fluid, there is another tube out of the
      thumper going into a condenser, I assume. The running of this with
      2.5 gallons of mash in the main boiler is resulting in a distillate
      at about 85% alcohol. What is being put in the thumper? mash? or
      water? will either of these give results of 85%? or is it filled with
      heads or tails from a previous batch? Please let me know, I have a
      food sciences major saying "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.
      If I missed any details about the still, please tell me I'm rather
      fascinated by the design, and would love to see how it is built.
    • Deb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2000
        Sometimes we fill it with mash and sometimes tails.  Depends on which has a higher content of alcohol and whether or not we have any tails.  We never fill it with water.

        Deb Brewer

        witchwriter@...

        ICQ #13688671

        .:*W*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*C*:._.:*H*:._.:*W*:._.:*R*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*E*:._.:*R*:.

[...]

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
          > Please let me know, I have a food sciences major saying
          > "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.

          The thumper is simply acting as a second distillation stage. Once its
          fully saturated with alcohol (hence better to start with something already
          containing alcohol), and up to temperature, the vapour leaving it will be
          doing the equivalent of a second distillation (usng the incoming vapour as
          the heat source).

          Check out the wee applet at
          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm ...set it to 2 stages
          ... so the vapour leaving a 15% wash will be coming off at 65%, once going
          through a second stage (the thumper) it will be at 85% (not impossible !)

          See some of the Moonshine still photos at
          http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/moonshine.htm for some examples of
          thumpers.

          Tony
        • Dan or Barbara Gill
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2000
            I also found the thumper thread interesting. When I resurrected a
            century old copper pot still (25 gal capacity), I ran the vapor into the
            sealed top of an insulated empty gallon jar and then into the condenser
            coil. During a run, I will collect maybe a pint or two water but I don't
            run the vapor through it. The thumper soon reaches distillation temps
            and double distills very well. I can consistently run high quality eau
            de vie and corn whiskey (traditional moonshine). I don't have any test
            equipment, but believe I am running about 85% because a 50% cut still
            burns blue and has a good kick. I still haven't mastered the bead test
            and would like to find a better low tech guide for a/v. Local
            affectionados have told me it is the best moonshine they ever had - no
            small praise considering the depth of experience.

            Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

            > > Please let me know, I have a food sciences major
            saying
            > > "Impossible!", I want to prove him wrong.
            >
            > The thumper is simply acting as a second distillation
            stage. Once its
            > fully saturated with alcohol (hence better to start
            with something already
            > containing alcohol), and up to temperature, the vapour
            leaving it will be
            > doing the equivalent of a second distillation (usng
            the incoming vapour as
            > the heat source).
            >
            > Check out the wee applet at
            > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm
            ...set it to 2 stages
            > ... so the vapour leaving a 15% wash will be coming
            off at 65%, once going
            > through a second stage (the thumper) it will be at 85%
            (not impossible !)

            > See some of the Moonshine still photos at
            > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/moonshine.htm
            for some examples of
            > thumpers.
            >
            > Tony

            > Get 6 months of FREE* MSN Internet access!

            http://click.egroups.com/1/5727/7/_/441693/_/962524293/

            ********* New e-mail address dgill@... ********

            Please note new URL: http://www.velvitoil.com/index.html
            Barbecue, curing and smoking meat, Woodworking and more