RE: [Distillers] reflux equilibrium

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2000
      >Tom Noftsger wrote:
      > ok guys,
      > is there a formula for how long it should take to achieve
      > equililbrium. I have a reflux still modeled after the "StillMaker"
      > design less the lower cooling tube at the base of the tower. That is
      > to say 1 meter in length, 2" diameter copper tower, and a 750 watt
      > heater. Tony, do you have any thing on this...Anyone else have
      > anything. Thanks
      > Tom

      Sorry, no I don't have anything on this. I think that Nixon & Stone
      recommend to "slowly bleed off over several hours". As I haven't had much
      experience in running a fractionating column, I can't offer much advice of
      my own; basically the theory says that once the temperatures are happy, the
      concentration profile will follow, eg just watch the top temperature
      carefully. During the bleed-off of the first volitiles (eg methanol), you
      should see a slight increase in temperature. Once its stabilised again, you
      should be off and running. So the trick is to get the temperatures happy
      real early on - like Pete says, give it a bit more grunt to get there, and
      keep the column well insulated, and don't over-chill the refluxed

      Have you put a couple more cooling tubes at the top of the column, or done
      anything else to increase or be able to control the amount of reflux
      occuring ?