FW: [Distillers] Solder

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Robert Warren [mailto:robertwarren@...]
      Sent: Thursday, 8 June 2000 13:43
      To: Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Subject: RE: [Distillers] Solder

      Dear Tony,
      I used to be a water treatment operator, and later
      a plumber in California and Oregon, and to my
      knowledge, most states in the US outlawed lead
      solder back in the mid 70's. There are a couple
      types of solder currently sold on the market.
      Silver solder, which you describe below, is mostly
      tin and a small amount of silver. It does take a
      bit higher temperature to get it to flow, but has
      excellent adhering properties. In fact, if you
      want to solder something which will never come
      apart, unless you use an even hotter torch than
      what you soldered with in the first place, then
      silver solder it. You may want to use Mapp gas
      instead of propane to get the higher flame
      temperature, around 650 F, I believe. I don't have
      time to look this up. There are charts available
      on various melting points of solder, brazing rods
      and welding rods, if someone cares to look this up
      and post it.
      The other main type of solder is simply called
      95/5, which is 95 % tin and 5% zinc. It flows
      easily at a lower temp, perhaps around 500 F, I
      believe, and will just run off instead of sticking
      if you get the joint too hot. You want to work
      this solder at close to the melting point. This is
      what most plumbers have used on domestic
      waterlines arouund the world for the past 25
      years, and it is completely safe, as is the silver
      solder. Plumbers use 95/5 because it is about 25%
      cheaper than silver solder.
      Now, given the fact that alcohol is a known
      solvent, and the other salient fact that you have
      hot alcohol vapors inside a still, it is
      reasonable to wonder about the how much tin and
      such may dissolve. Well, the tin is pretty good at
      sticking to the copper and also to the adjoining
      tin molecules, and it really is not very soluable
      at all. Some geographical areas have well water
      which is highly aggressive, perhaps a stronger
      solvent than alcohol. Such water will dissolve out
      the zinc in galvanized pipes and then continue to
      react with the iron underneath and you end up with
      holes in your pipes.The zinc on galvanized pipes
      and inside water heaters is considered a
      sacrificial metal. However, the zinc in 95/5 is
      bound to the tin and is an alloy, so it has
      completely different properties than the zinc
      coating on steel pipes. Anyway, the long and short
      of it is that zinc, tin, and copper are found in
      tiny trace amounts in our bodies along with gold
      and silver. They are not poisonous, but aluminum
      is. Do not cook with aluminum, do not use it for a
      boiler or pressure cooker. It has been shown over
      and over again to be a definate contributer to
      Alheimer's disease.
      Regards,
      Robert Warren