Stills

  • mike@xxxxxxxxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 1999
      Connie Zein wrote:
      Can someone please tell me what the types of stills are. I understand there
      are two main types ie Pot Still and Coffey Still?
      What are the advantages of each?

      The Coffey Still (or Patent Still) is essentially the same as the Pot Still. You may have seen pictures of Coffey Stills as they are used in the manufacture of whiskey. They are essentially a boiler connected to a condenser, and generally 2 passes are required in order to produce a potable product. If the product is consumed immediately then you are drinking moonshine which contains large quantities of fusel oils and other nasties. These are chemically modified through storage of the product and aging and give whiskeys, brandies etc their characteristic flavour.

      Refluxing fractionating columns give a much purer product as they effectively redistill many, many times as the raw material progresses up the column. If you want to know how to do it properly, I strongly recommend a visit to John Stone's web site http://www.gin-vodka.com/main.htm

      Good luck,
      Mike