First Sugar Wash questions

  • zuggetsr <zugget@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2003
      Hi all,

      Just fermented my first sugar wash using SuperYeast by winemakiri.
      Fermented to about 19% in about 2 weeks. Does anyone recommend
      adding any clearing agents or filtering the wash before I run it
      though my still? I will be using a valved reflux still.

      Thanks.
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2003

        Reflux still strips everything except fractions vaporising at the particular temperature close to alcohol, i.e. arounf 78 degrees. I constantly distill sugar wash and do not use any clearing agents. Calculate theoretical volume of alcohol and collect first 25-30% separatelly because it will smell like flowers, save next half of the theoretical value of the alcohol,  the rest of collection run will join with the first 25%-30%, keep distilling untill termometer hits around 92-95 degrees centigrade. Use the middle part. Redistill the first and the third.

         "zuggetsr <zugget@...>" <zugget@...> wrote:

        Hi all,Just fermented my first sugar wash using SuperYeast by winemakiri.  Fermented to about 19% in about 2 weeks.  Does anyone recommend adding any clearing agents or filtering the wash before I run it though my still?  I will be using a valved reflux till.
        Thanks.

        I can be wrong I must say.
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?