SV: SV: SV: [Distillers] Continuous Column - works well !

  • Johan Hemberg
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 3, 2003
      Most famous exported Liquor from Sweden is Absolut Vodka:
      Check their ugly homepage: www.absolut.com

      There are most likely more brands exported as well, I don't know what
      brands but if you are interested you could check
      http://www.systembolaget.se/english/xindex.htm Systembolaget stores are
      the only place in Sweden you can buy liquor (at the moment, things may
      change).

      When Sweden joined the European Union they made a small mistake. It
      became legal to own a distiller for water distillation. It took at least
      a year before people realized this mistake and then you could buy
      distillation apparatus in almost every home brewing store. After a year
      or two, the government corrected the law and it was illegal again to own
      a distiller or parts to one and they requested that people would
      voluntarily give their stills to the police.
      I think they got one still in entire Sweden =)
      So maybe they haven't thought about if it is legal to own a still for
      production of fuel. You never know, I'll try to find out. (I wouldn't
      mind to denature the mash, a solar powered continuous still with
      computer control would be worth it)

      Johan

      Living here in the USA I have noticed their is no commerical whiskey
      from Sweden in any of our liquor stores that I have seen. Could you
      pass along the names of some of Swedens better name brands. I do not
      recall ever seeing even one.

      Ludwig

      Johan Hemberg wrote:

> [...]

      > > run it at too high a reflux ratio (eg try to push a short column to
      > > make very high
      > > purity), all that happens is that you overload the total column with
      > > alcohol, and it starts showing up in the boiler (temp drops) (and
      > > heading
      > > out the drain). I was collecting at about 5-8 mL/min
      > >
      > > Once its set up and running nicely, theres no fiddling to do - the
      > whole
      > >
      > > run is constant, with an even collection / reflux rate. Thats
      > because
      > > nothing ever changes - the feed maintains the same %, the boiler is
      > > always only boiling water, etc. About the only drop off was late in

      > > the run, when
      > > the flowrater out of the fermentor slowed a little as it ran out of
      > > head.
      > > That could be easily fixed by mounting the feed a bit higher - eg if
      > > the
      > > fermentor is going to drop 40cm, then the head change say from 1.4
      > > 1.0 m
      > > is far less difference than going from 0.4 to 0m head.
      > >
      > > Being such a small volume, you're up and running inside 10 minutes.
      > It
      > > doesnt matter if you're trying to run 10L or 100L through it, the
      > > same setup would work. With a feed rate of 70 mL/min, it took
      > > around 5-6 hours to do 25L of wash - just a touch longer than what
      > > I'd expect for a
      > 1500W
      > >
      > > setup, but that involved a fair amount of frigging around, trying
      > > different settings etc. I'd expect I could run it faster if there
      > > was a taller stripping section (say 40-50cm), and also better purity

      > > (and faster) with a
      > > taller rectifying section (say 1.2 - 1.5m).
      > >
      > > I wont be using this still as a standard - it was no advantage over
      > > my standard 30L boiler etc, but interesting to prove that I could do

      > > it. Where it would be advantageos would be if I wanted to run more
      > > than
      > 25L
      > >
      > > through it in a single pass, if a quick startup/shut down was of
      > > benefit, or where, say for example, laws deemed that a still with
      > > less than 5L capacity werent stills ....
      > >
      > > The only controls needed are two thermometers - one in the boiler,
      > > and one in the head. Use the boiler one to set and control the feed

      > > rate, and the
      > > head one to control the collection rate. Couldn't be easier.
      > >
      > > Tony
      > >
      > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
      > > distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      > >
      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      > >

      > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
      > > distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

      > --
      > Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
      > http://shopnow.netscape.com/

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >

      > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to

    • Ludwig
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2003
        We looked in a liquor store today and sure enough their it was. Rated
        as one of their better vodka's. Priced accordingly

        Ludwig

      • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 7, 2003
          You could fortify it by 'freeze-distillation', a 10% wash giving you
          a 20% product which is the usual alcohol content of fortified wines.
          See msg 3197 by 'ups474' (Jack) for details.
          Wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gil Hardwick <gruagach@h...> wrote:
          > At 04:25 AM 30/12/02 -0800, you wrote:
          >
          > >With all due respect, isn't it sort of remindign me of a fortified
          beer?

          > No, not this batch which is made from molasses and dark
          > brown sugar not malt.
          >
          > My question concerned what reason would there be to make
          > up a wort so full of complex flavours and aromas only to distill
          > it all out then add bought essences.
          >
          > Gil
        • Aaron Pelly
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 8, 2003
            > See msg 3197 by 'ups474' (Jack) for details.
            > Wal

            Jack seems to have been absent for some time now. I hope it's not permanent.