Re: [Distillers] Re: steel flange

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003

      Chris, it is nice to have the base of materials seemingly what you have. If only I could afford to build all those things what are dwelling in my head. Cheers, Alex...

       giddyup06@... wrote:

      I can get brass flanges all day long in any size you want up to 36 inch. Chris Richard

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • giddyup06@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
        Sorry Gil but I have to warn anybody about the materials coming from China.
        Here in the states we have what is known as "Underwriters Labs" and they do
        indeed test all materials that will be coming into the country as is to be
        used in the food market. Chinese stuff is high in lead. The steel is high in
        sulfur and impurities and the brass does not contain the highest degree of
        alloys. There is a lot of filler in it. We cannot use any of those materials
        if it will come in contact with potable water or areas that are deemed "food
        grade."

        I do not see it a waste of time keeping people from getting ill or suffering
        effects down the road from the wrong products being used. You see this is my
        job. One that takes over 5 years of continuos education just to be able to be
        CONSIDERED to hold a license.

        You are making a food product. You will be serving this to friends and
        family. To not insure it is in fact 100% free of health depleting impurities
        would be on par with serving then poison.

        This is in no way a slam on any culture. It is just the truth.

        Chris Richard
        Fort Worth, TX, USA
      • Gil Hardwick
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
          At 05:48 PM 3/01/03 -0500, Chris Richard wrote:
          >Sorry Gil but I have to warn anybody about the materials coming from China.
          >Here in the states we have what is known as "Underwriters Labs" and they do
          >indeed test all materials that will be coming into the country as is to be
          >used in the food market. Chinese stuff is high in lead. The steel is high in
          >sulfur and impurities and the brass does not contain the highest degree of
          >alloys. There is a lot of filler in it. We cannot use any of those materials
          >if it will come in contact with potable water or areas that are deemed "food
          >grade."
          >
          >I do not see it a waste of time keeping people from getting ill or suffering
          >effects down the road from the wrong products being used. You see this is my
          >job. One that takes over 5 years of continuos education just to be able to be
          >CONSIDERED to hold a license.

          All you have to do at your end is specify what you want, and they will
          make it for you. If China is supplying low grade products to the US it is
          only what the US orders.

          That's obvious. If the product was not to specification the buyer would
          not pay for it, it could not be released FOB at the port of embarkation
          from which point the buyer takes responsibility, and very certainly if the
          buyer did not want to sell it the container would not be picked up from
          the port of entry, unpacked and distributed to all those retail outlets.

          What I am saying here, Chris, and without being personal, if you are
          so highly qualified in this area why don't you simply do your job?

          The facts are that the Chinese play only a very small role in the trade.
          Perhaps you should go talk to the warehouses supplying your cheap
          retail outlets. Maybe also talk to your "Underwriters Labs" and ask them
          why they are allowing the US to import and sell the stuff.

          >You are making a food product. You will be serving this to friends and
          >family. To not insure it is in fact 100% free of health depleting impurities
          >would be on par with serving then poison.
          >
          >This is in no way a slam on any culture. It is just the truth.

          Chris, you fail to grasp the realities of foreign trade, and you certainly
          fail to show that you grasp the workings of your own administration.

          The Chinese have no control over what gets sold in the US. You have
          the power yourselves, all you have to do is apply it. It is not the Chinese
          seeking to dump their inferior products onto the US market, but US
          warehouses specifically ordering them in and selling them.

          If you have standards in the US why don't you enforce them? If the
          product poses a risk to health all you have to do is approach your FDA
          people to withdraw them from the market.

          Failing that, just don't buy the stuff. Believe me it is that simple.

          Around this side of the planet, all of us well within the Chinese sphere
          of influence, once a product is shown to pose a health risk it can be
          withdrawn from sale in 20 countries within the one week.

          That's how closely our governments cooperate without anyone having
          to bother rolling out their qualifications or explaining their concerns.

          They just do it.

          Kind regards, and good luck in your own efforts,

          Gil
        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
            Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes. Materials & fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are restricted. If you're going to use an item for in contact with your spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition. Low grade materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?" debate)

            Tony
          • Gil Hardwick
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
              At 10:14 PM 4/01/03 +1300, you wrote:
              >Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be
              >careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes. Materials &
              >fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are
              >restricted. If you're going to use an item for in contact with your
              >spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition. Low grade
              >materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other
              >inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?"
              >debate)
              >
              >Tony

              From what I have been getting from him behind the scenes, Tony, he is
              far more concerned about slanty-eyed gook bitches dumping crap onto
              the US market. If you want I can forward his email to you, though I very
              much expect you'd be as interested in that sort of thing as I am.

              I could say a few things in reply about US-based multinationals setting
              themselves up in Asia, but I won't. It's not what this forum is about.

              Here I agree with you, that it is up to us to know what materials we are
              using. As I wrote a couple of days ago, and have repeated, we are free
              to specify what we want and make sure it is ordered in for us.

              There is a lot of expertise present among members. I agree with Mike
              McCaw here too, that a great service can be offered members by those
              who can source high quality material and fittings from anywhere on the
              planet without anyone having a shot at any one country.

              Let's just enjoy our good hobby, and if we chance to meet a few beers . . .

              Gil
            • tipringwaterpipe
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003

                Hello all

                I'm a new guy at this hobby and have just about finished contstructing my 1st still. Most if not all the information for the construction has come from the web and people like yourselves. thank you very much. I'm also new to this forum and i was considering using plastic screw anchors as a packing material. I did get a great buy on stainless steel pot scrubbers, and although I see no signs of degenaration (i.e. rust), I do get a slight attaction with a magnet. These ss scrubbers are also from China, and so are some good friends of mine. Anyway I was wondering what the conclusion was regarding using plastic's as packing?

                Thanks Tip

                PS: Happy New Years to you all.

                 Gil Hardwick <gruagach@...> wrote:

                At 10:14 PM 4/01/03 +1300, you wrote:
                >Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be
                >careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes.  Materials &
                >fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are
                >restricted.  If you're going to use an item for in contact with your
                >spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition.  Low grade
                >materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other
                >inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?"
                >debate)
                >
                >Tony

                From what I have been getting from him behind the scenes, Tony, he is
[...]

              • Tony & Elle Ackland
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                  > I did get a great buy on stainless steel pot scrubbers, and although I
                  see no signs of degenaration (i.e. rust), I do get a slight attaction with
                  a magnet.

                  Some stainless is still slightly magnetic.

                  The advantage of using scrubbers, rather than anything else, is their huge
                  surface area vs the volume they take up - probably 10x that of the screw
                  anchors. If you do use an alternative material, you'll need your column to
                  be longer to achieve the same purity, and wider to sustain the same
                  flowrate (heat input).

                  Tony
                • BOKAKOB

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 5, 2003

                      Thanks BOKAKOB

                      That's all I need to know, the plastic screw anchors are out and I'll go with the ss pot scrubbers that I purchased. In Canada, I believe 'Everclear' is only available in Quebec or possibly in the Yukon or NW Territories. Where I live (Vancouver outskirts) it's not available. The cheapest Vodka at our LCB stores is Bolskaya. This is distilled in Vancouver under license and costs $45.55 CDN per 1.75 litre. That's about $26.03 CDN a litre. Highway robbery if you ask me. Ya know I was just thinking....this Bolskaya vodka that I buy is bottled and sold in plastic bottles.....hmmmm. It may have toxic labels...damn. Anyhow my solder joint's are cool enough to polish, so back to work for me....

                      Thanks again

                      Tip

                    • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 8, 2003
                        Alex mentioned everclear since it is 95% and which is the highest
                        strength your plastic still will be exposed to. leave the plastic in
                        everclear for a few days and then dilute it with water and it may
                        turn milky as the plastic comes out of solution.