Re: [Distillers] 100 mm (4") Diam. Column

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003

      Hey, Rob! I think if you extend the column a little more, making the total height of at least 3.5 feet (or 1.067 meters), the spirit will come out close to 92-95% depending how "fast" you run your still. I am not sure about the width though. It seems 4inches (10 cm) diameter is a little disproportional judging all data available. I think it will still work fine, but it would constitute to waste of material in my opinion.

       Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@...> wrote:

      Hi all... happy new year!
      I have a Duplast still with a 330 mm (1') high, 100 mm (4") wide column. I have replaced the marbles that it came with, with SS scrubbers, added a triac controlled power regulator for the 1500W element. The output is still pretty marginal at 65% abv. I figure the next thing to do is extend the column by another 1m (3'),
      giving 1.3m (4') overall. How does that sound? Does the column need to be longer since it is so wide?
      Mike Nixon/Mike McCaw mention channelling in wide diameter columns and the need for spreaders. Do you mean like plates with perforations for vapour to
      come up and reflux to drip down, placed at intervals?
      Cheers, Rob

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Robert Stam
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
        Thanks for your reply Fred. I take it that you have one of these Duplast stills? What sort of %abv do you get out of it with the extended column?

        Cheers, Rob
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
          Hi Alex...

          the original column is 100mm, so I thought to just extend it at the same diam. I could put a reducer on it down to 50/75mm.

          Cheers, Rob
[...]

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
            > the original column is 100mm, so I thought to just extend it at the same diam. I could put a reducer on it down to 50/75mm.

            You'll need to keep it at 100mm if you are going to keep the marbles in there. Marbles only have about 33% voidage around them, so in order to give enough area for the vapour & liquid to get past, you need a wider diameter than if only using scrubbers (which have about 95% voidage). A narrow column filled with marbles is a recipe for column flooding.

            Tony
          • Robert Stam
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
              Hi Tony...

              I have replaced the marbles with SS scrubbers in the current (330mm x 100mm)  column.

              Cheers, Rob

            • williejohnc <wpcarlton@xtra.co.nz>
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
                > Thanks for your reply Fred. I take it that you have one of these Duplast
                > stills? What sort of %abv do you get out of it with the extended column?
                >
                > Cheers, Rob

                Robert,
                I run a Duplast Still with extended column (700mm) and have put
                approx. 250litres of wash thru it in 25 litre batches. Boiler is
                supplied 25litre plastic barrel with element fitted. (power unknown,
                suspect 800 watts)
                Column currently has the supplied marbles (plastic balls) but I am
                going to try some layered SS scrubbers within the balls. I suspect
                there may be some tracking.
                Pleased with results to date however.
                From switch on at wall, 5 hours to complete the run.
                Dispose of first 100 mls of distillate to the lawnmower (it's now got
                a mind of its own. )
                I run the still and maintain 79.5 - 90.0 C in the head, by contolling
                the water flow to the reflux coil.
                No control is needed in the boiler.
                I collect until I can no longer hold 81 - 82 C in the head.
                Results vary between 89 - 91% ABV.
                Spirit is good but I think I can improve. Some runs produce a spirit
                with a nail polish odour which I don't care for. This is removed
                mostly by carbon over 3 days. Suspect I am collecting too much tails
                or tracking in the column.
                As I produce this for flavouring with a rum essence, it is not
                noticeable. However when I give the broken down spirit to my son who
                is a vodka fanatic, he takes a sip and says "keep trying".
                Looking forward to making one of Alex's designs for comparison.
                Hope this helps.
                Bill C.