Re: [Distillers] Re: steel flange

  • giddyup06@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
      And these are sweat flanges..4 hole..you can either silfoss (recomended) or
      solder but make sure you use lead free.

      Chris Richard
    • zuggetsr <zugget@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
        In the states, I just saw a 2" brass flange for $5 (USD) @ Home Depot.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert <dinks_c@y...>"
        <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
        > You could also try a ships chandlery for brass fittings of similar
        > type.
        > Robert
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@y...>"
        > <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
        > > I managed to find a 2" brass (threaded) floor flange at a
        > plumbing
        > > supply. So, something other then iron DOES exist. It was total
        > luck
        > > as it was the last one they had in stock and the guy at the shop
        > > indicated that it wasn't something they normally stock. I've been
        > > pretty happy with it. If you call around, maybe you can find one
        > > yourself. I payed $20 for mine.
        > >
        > > Picture:

        > .
        > > jpg
        > >

        > > Good luck!
        > >
        > > -CX
        > >

        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rocky S <hardrock37us@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > > Hi Folks, New guy here. Thinking about useing a steel
        > > > floor flange in 2" dia. to attach the colunm to the
        > > > lid. Looks like there will be about three threads
        > > > exposed to the vapors. Would this be a problem? I read
        > > > all the post about the steel drum, but this doesn't
        > > > seem to extream to me, or could it be trouble? I
        > > > bought it new, because I couldn't find anything else
        > > > to use, and this thing is getting into the wallet. Any
        > > > suggestions? Thanx for the great group, Rocko

        > > > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
        > > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Tim Kovac
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003

          In Australia as well?

          Regards,

          Tim

          >From: giddyup06@...
          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: steel flange
          >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:16:00 EST
          >
          >I can get brass flanges all day long in any size you want up to 36 inch.
          >
          >Chris Richard

        • Gil Hardwick
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
            Sorry to butt in here, again, but this flange crap has been going
            on for weeks.

            For Heck's sake, nobody here is from any Third World economy
            battling to get a half-decent meal once a week.

            Any hardware supplier on our part can get us anything we want,
            from anywhere on the planet.

            All you have to do is roll in there asking the right questions about
            what it is you want to buy, then persist in making sure they order
            it in for you at the price you're prepared to pay.

            Really, all you want is a 2" brass stupid bloody flange. I would have
            been more concerned myself about what thread they supplied, and
            even then happy enough to turn it out and sweat a pipe fitting in with
            a bit of silver solder. So long as it does the job.

            Don't worry too much if it is made in China. My wife is Chinese, and
            I know a lot about what is being manufactured there at the top end of
            the market.

            All it has to be is brass. Fake bloody pot scrubbers is bullshit . . .

            Gil

            At 03:56 PM 3/01/03 +1100, you wrote:

            >In Australia as well?
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Tim
            >
            > >From: giddyup06@...
            > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: steel flange
            > >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:16:00 EST
            > >
            > >I can get brass flanges all day long in any size you want up to 36 inch.
            > >
            > >Chris Richard
          • BOKAKOB
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003

              Chris, it is nice to have the base of materials seemingly what you have. If only I could afford to build all those things what are dwelling in my head. Cheers, Alex...

               giddyup06@... wrote:

              I can get brass flanges all day long in any size you want up to 36 inch. Chris Richard

              I can be wrong I must say.
              Cheers, Alex...

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • giddyup06@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                Sorry Gil but I have to warn anybody about the materials coming from China.
                Here in the states we have what is known as "Underwriters Labs" and they do
                indeed test all materials that will be coming into the country as is to be
                used in the food market. Chinese stuff is high in lead. The steel is high in
                sulfur and impurities and the brass does not contain the highest degree of
                alloys. There is a lot of filler in it. We cannot use any of those materials
                if it will come in contact with potable water or areas that are deemed "food
                grade."

                I do not see it a waste of time keeping people from getting ill or suffering
                effects down the road from the wrong products being used. You see this is my
                job. One that takes over 5 years of continuos education just to be able to be
                CONSIDERED to hold a license.

                You are making a food product. You will be serving this to friends and
                family. To not insure it is in fact 100% free of health depleting impurities
                would be on par with serving then poison.

                This is in no way a slam on any culture. It is just the truth.

                Chris Richard
                Fort Worth, TX, USA
              • Gil Hardwick
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                  At 05:48 PM 3/01/03 -0500, Chris Richard wrote:
                  >Sorry Gil but I have to warn anybody about the materials coming from China.
                  >Here in the states we have what is known as "Underwriters Labs" and they do
                  >indeed test all materials that will be coming into the country as is to be
                  >used in the food market. Chinese stuff is high in lead. The steel is high in
                  >sulfur and impurities and the brass does not contain the highest degree of
                  >alloys. There is a lot of filler in it. We cannot use any of those materials
                  >if it will come in contact with potable water or areas that are deemed "food
                  >grade."
                  >
                  >I do not see it a waste of time keeping people from getting ill or suffering
                  >effects down the road from the wrong products being used. You see this is my
                  >job. One that takes over 5 years of continuos education just to be able to be
                  >CONSIDERED to hold a license.

                  All you have to do at your end is specify what you want, and they will
                  make it for you. If China is supplying low grade products to the US it is
                  only what the US orders.

                  That's obvious. If the product was not to specification the buyer would
                  not pay for it, it could not be released FOB at the port of embarkation
                  from which point the buyer takes responsibility, and very certainly if the
                  buyer did not want to sell it the container would not be picked up from
                  the port of entry, unpacked and distributed to all those retail outlets.

                  What I am saying here, Chris, and without being personal, if you are
                  so highly qualified in this area why don't you simply do your job?

                  The facts are that the Chinese play only a very small role in the trade.
                  Perhaps you should go talk to the warehouses supplying your cheap
                  retail outlets. Maybe also talk to your "Underwriters Labs" and ask them
                  why they are allowing the US to import and sell the stuff.

                  >You are making a food product. You will be serving this to friends and
                  >family. To not insure it is in fact 100% free of health depleting impurities
                  >would be on par with serving then poison.
                  >
                  >This is in no way a slam on any culture. It is just the truth.

                  Chris, you fail to grasp the realities of foreign trade, and you certainly
                  fail to show that you grasp the workings of your own administration.

                  The Chinese have no control over what gets sold in the US. You have
                  the power yourselves, all you have to do is apply it. It is not the Chinese
                  seeking to dump their inferior products onto the US market, but US
                  warehouses specifically ordering them in and selling them.

                  If you have standards in the US why don't you enforce them? If the
                  product poses a risk to health all you have to do is approach your FDA
                  people to withdraw them from the market.

                  Failing that, just don't buy the stuff. Believe me it is that simple.

                  Around this side of the planet, all of us well within the Chinese sphere
                  of influence, once a product is shown to pose a health risk it can be
                  withdrawn from sale in 20 countries within the one week.

                  That's how closely our governments cooperate without anyone having
                  to bother rolling out their qualifications or explaining their concerns.

                  They just do it.

                  Kind regards, and good luck in your own efforts,

                  Gil
                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                    Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes. Materials & fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are restricted. If you're going to use an item for in contact with your spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition. Low grade materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?" debate)

                    Tony
                  • Gil Hardwick
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                      At 10:14 PM 4/01/03 +1300, you wrote:
                      >Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be
                      >careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes. Materials &
                      >fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are
                      >restricted. If you're going to use an item for in contact with your
                      >spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition. Low grade
                      >materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other
                      >inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?"
                      >debate)
                      >
                      >Tony

                      From what I have been getting from him behind the scenes, Tony, he is
                      far more concerned about slanty-eyed gook bitches dumping crap onto
                      the US market. If you want I can forward his email to you, though I very
                      much expect you'd be as interested in that sort of thing as I am.

                      I could say a few things in reply about US-based multinationals setting
                      themselves up in Asia, but I won't. It's not what this forum is about.

                      Here I agree with you, that it is up to us to know what materials we are
                      using. As I wrote a couple of days ago, and have repeated, we are free
                      to specify what we want and make sure it is ordered in for us.

                      There is a lot of expertise present among members. I agree with Mike
                      McCaw here too, that a great service can be offered members by those
                      who can source high quality material and fittings from anywhere on the
                      planet without anyone having a shot at any one country.

                      Let's just enjoy our good hobby, and if we chance to meet a few beers . . .

                      Gil
                    • tipringwaterpipe
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003

                        Hello all

                        I'm a new guy at this hobby and have just about finished contstructing my 1st still. Most if not all the information for the construction has come from the web and people like yourselves. thank you very much. I'm also new to this forum and i was considering using plastic screw anchors as a packing material. I did get a great buy on stainless steel pot scrubbers, and although I see no signs of degenaration (i.e. rust), I do get a slight attaction with a magnet. These ss scrubbers are also from China, and so are some good friends of mine. Anyway I was wondering what the conclusion was regarding using plastic's as packing?

                        Thanks Tip

                        PS: Happy New Years to you all.

                         Gil Hardwick <gruagach@...> wrote:

                        At 10:14 PM 4/01/03 +1300, you wrote:
                        >Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be
                        >careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes.  Materials &
                        >fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are
                        >restricted.  If you're going to use an item for in contact with your
                        >spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition.  Low grade
                        >materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other
                        >inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?"
                        >debate)
                        >
                        >Tony

                        From what I have been getting from him behind the scenes, Tony, he is
[...]

                      • Tony & Elle Ackland
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                          > I did get a great buy on stainless steel pot scrubbers, and although I
                          see no signs of degenaration (i.e. rust), I do get a slight attaction with
                          a magnet.

                          Some stainless is still slightly magnetic.

                          The advantage of using scrubbers, rather than anything else, is their huge
                          surface area vs the volume they take up - probably 10x that of the screw
                          anchors. If you do use an alternative material, you'll need your column to
                          be longer to achieve the same purity, and wider to sustain the same
                          flowrate (heat input).

                          Tony
                        • BOKAKOB

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 5, 2003

                              Thanks BOKAKOB

                              That's all I need to know, the plastic screw anchors are out and I'll go with the ss pot scrubbers that I purchased. In Canada, I believe 'Everclear' is only available in Quebec or possibly in the Yukon or NW Territories. Where I live (Vancouver outskirts) it's not available. The cheapest Vodka at our LCB stores is Bolskaya. This is distilled in Vancouver under license and costs $45.55 CDN per 1.75 litre. That's about $26.03 CDN a litre. Highway robbery if you ask me. Ya know I was just thinking....this Bolskaya vodka that I buy is bottled and sold in plastic bottles.....hmmmm. It may have toxic labels...damn. Anyhow my solder joint's are cool enough to polish, so back to work for me....

                              Thanks again

                              Tip

                            • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 8, 2003
                                Alex mentioned everclear since it is 95% and which is the highest
                                strength your plastic still will be exposed to. leave the plastic in
                                everclear for a few days and then dilute it with water and it may
                                turn milky as the plastic comes out of solution.