100 mm (4") Diam. Column

  • Robert Stam
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hi all... happy new year!

      I have a Duplast still with a 330 mm (1') high, 100 mm (4") wide column. I
      have replaced the marbles that it came with, with SS scrubbers, added a
      triac controlled power regulator for the 1500W element. The output is still
      pretty marginal at 65% abv.
      I figure the next thing to do is extend the column by another 1m (3'),
      giving 1.3m (4') overall.

      How does that sound? Does the column need to be longer since it is so wide?

      Mike Nixon/Mike McCaw mention channelling in wide diameter columns and the
      need for spreaders. Do you mean like plates with perforations for vapour to
      come up and reflux to drip down, placed at intervals?

      Cheers, Rob
      Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail
      message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is
      privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are
      advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of
      the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
      received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and
      destroy the message.
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
        Robert Stam wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] 100 mm (4") Diam. Column

        Mike Nixon/Mike McCaw mention channelling in wide diameter columns and the
        need for spreaders. Do you mean like plates with perforations for vapour to
        come up and reflux to drip down, placed at intervals?
        ===================================
        Hi Rob.  A very happy New Year to you too!

        We have noticed that the wider a column, the greater the tendency is for liquid reflux to form 'preferred' paths back down through the packing.  Once these are established, the reflux zips down rapidly back to the boiler and therefore takes no part in the reboiling that we want.  It seems to be a bit like 'choking', but without the blockage that 'choking' produces ... in fact, quite the opposite.

        Shaped packing is apparently designed in all its wierd and wonderful shapes to try and counter this, and I'm sure they have managed to overcome it to some degree.  However, once a column gets too big, trays become the norm in order to manage the reflux flow.  Perforated plates set in the packing at intervals might help a bit to discourage this 'channelling', but the snag is that they might also introduce greater impedance to vapor flow if the holes are too small.  However, this is something you might like to explore, as that is just an 'uneducated guess'.  If you do try some experiments, I'm sure we would all be eager to learn what you find.

        Cheers!
        Mike N

      • Robert Stam
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
          Hi Mike, greetings for the new year.

          I have a few ideas for plates. That reminds me of the viewing ports in those German stills we got documentation on. I believe that they would be for checking the condensate fluid levels in each tray, since the level is adjustable with an overflow pipe.

          Cheers, Rob

        • fred_onion <sambucca@nzoomail.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
            Hi Robert,

            If you get the extended column that is available with your still, it
            will increase the performance and alc%.

            Mikes comment regarding the path of the vapour condensing back into
            the boiler is quite correct from my observations.

            To help overcome this when teasing out the scrubbers, I take
            particular care to ensure there are no gaps in the SS media at the
            sides of the column. I also use scrubbers in tandum with the marbles,
            which allows pockets of vapour up the still to develop, and seems to
            assist the still performance. (A layering effect)

            Fred

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Mike, greetings for the new year.
            >
            > I have a few ideas for plates. That reminds me of the viewing ports
            in those
            > German stills we got documentation on. I believe that they would be
            for
            > checking the condensate fluid levels in each tray, since the level
            is
            > adjustable with an overflow pipe.
            >
            > Cheers, Rob

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17
            050416

            94:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?
            http://
            > www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupmai
            > l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=181977903>
            >
            > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
            > distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

            > Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This
            electronic mail
            > message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
            that is
            > privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient
            you are
            > advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or
            reproduction of
            > the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
            have
            > received this document in error, please notify the sender
            immediately and
            > destroy the message.
          • BOKAKOB
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003

              Hey, Rob! I think if you extend the column a little more, making the total height of at least 3.5 feet (or 1.067 meters), the spirit will come out close to 92-95% depending how "fast" you run your still. I am not sure about the width though. It seems 4inches (10 cm) diameter is a little disproportional judging all data available. I think it will still work fine, but it would constitute to waste of material in my opinion.

               Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@...> wrote:

              Hi all... happy new year!
              I have a Duplast still with a 330 mm (1') high, 100 mm (4") wide column. I have replaced the marbles that it came with, with SS scrubbers, added a triac controlled power regulator for the 1500W element. The output is still pretty marginal at 65% abv. I figure the next thing to do is extend the column by another 1m (3'),
              giving 1.3m (4') overall. How does that sound? Does the column need to be longer since it is so wide?
              Mike Nixon/Mike McCaw mention channelling in wide diameter columns and the need for spreaders. Do you mean like plates with perforations for vapour to
              come up and reflux to drip down, placed at intervals?
              Cheers, Rob

              I can be wrong I must say.
              Cheers, Alex...

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Robert Stam
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                Thanks for your reply Fred. I take it that you have one of these Duplast stills? What sort of %abv do you get out of it with the extended column?

                Cheers, Rob

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                  Hi Alex...

                  the original column is 100mm, so I thought to just extend it at the same diam. I could put a reducer on it down to 50/75mm.

                  Cheers, Rob
[...]

                • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                    > the original column is 100mm, so I thought to just extend it at the same diam. I could put a reducer on it down to 50/75mm.

                    You'll need to keep it at 100mm if you are going to keep the marbles in there. Marbles only have about 33% voidage around them, so in order to give enough area for the vapour & liquid to get past, you need a wider diameter than if only using scrubbers (which have about 95% voidage). A narrow column filled with marbles is a recipe for column flooding.

                    Tony
                  • Robert Stam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                      Hi Tony...

                      I have replaced the marbles with SS scrubbers in the current (330mm x 100mm)  column.

                      Cheers, Rob

                    • williejohnc <wpcarlton@xtra.co.nz>
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for your reply Fred. I take it that you have one of these Duplast
                        > stills? What sort of %abv do you get out of it with the extended column?
                        >
                        > Cheers, Rob

                        Robert,
                        I run a Duplast Still with extended column (700mm) and have put
                        approx. 250litres of wash thru it in 25 litre batches. Boiler is
                        supplied 25litre plastic barrel with element fitted. (power unknown,
                        suspect 800 watts)
                        Column currently has the supplied marbles (plastic balls) but I am
                        going to try some layered SS scrubbers within the balls. I suspect
                        there may be some tracking.
                        Pleased with results to date however.
                        From switch on at wall, 5 hours to complete the run.
                        Dispose of first 100 mls of distillate to the lawnmower (it's now got
                        a mind of its own. )
                        I run the still and maintain 79.5 - 90.0 C in the head, by contolling
                        the water flow to the reflux coil.
                        No control is needed in the boiler.
                        I collect until I can no longer hold 81 - 82 C in the head.
                        Results vary between 89 - 91% ABV.
                        Spirit is good but I think I can improve. Some runs produce a spirit
                        with a nail polish odour which I don't care for. This is removed
                        mostly by carbon over 3 days. Suspect I am collecting too much tails
                        or tracking in the column.
                        As I produce this for flavouring with a rum essence, it is not
                        noticeable. However when I give the broken down spirit to my son who
                        is a vodka fanatic, he takes a sip and says "keep trying".
                        Looking forward to making one of Alex's designs for comparison.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Bill C.