RE: [Distillers] Thermometer

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2002

      Hi Rocky, I have a thermometer in both the boiler and in the head of the column. The one in the boiler is mainly there as a backup to my guestamate on how much I should/have/will collect as I go through the process. It also beats burning the hand each time you touch it to see how warm it is also. As Tony stated it isn’t necessary.

      Yours in Spirit!

      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003

        You don't need a thermometer in the pot. If you are just interested or want your rig to look cool -- by all means stick that thermometer in
        the pot!

         Rocky S <hardrock37us@...> wrote:

        Hey Group, Do you need a thermometer in the pot? Think I would like to have one there. I've seen all kinds of setups on the web but not sure if a temp reading for the pot is of any use. Thanks, R

        I can be wrong I must say.
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • stevenbwilliams2003 <williams@ledanet.co
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2003
          I have a Telltrue in the pot, only because the pot serves as my hot
          water tank for sparging in all grain brewing of beers, and one,
          removed from my mash tun (also used for brewing beer) relocated to
          the top of my column.

          I've noticed the relative correlation of temp changes from the pot to
          the top end of the column towards the end of distilling, but have
          never really understood what was happening.

          So what is happening when the pot temp increases towards the end and
          the column temp is difficult to stabilise? I use gas for heating.
        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2003

            Hi Steve, not wishing to teach you to suck lemons here, so would you pardon me if I start with the basics. As you see the temperature in the pot increase through the run, this is the boiling temperature of the wash inside the boiler at that point. This temperature increases as the amount of ethanol in the boiler decreases. My wash starts boiling at around the 85~87 degrees Celsius. When there is bugger all ethanol in the boiler the temperature will have reached approximately 100 degrees Celsius, or the boiling point of water.   As you reach this point the temperature of the vapour at the top of you column will become unstable because of the lack of ethanol in the boiler. This will lead to an increase in the higher order alcohols and fusil oils to come over if they are allowed to.

            The way I personally run my column and others vary on their operation mainly because of the differing configuration of their column, is I have a thermometer with an alarm in my column head. When the temperature reaches this preset, the alarm goes off. I then wind back the collection rate, (Collect less) until I cannot keep the temperature stable or the collection rate is such that it isn’t worth proceeding any longer. Both of these happen at around the same time, a lot to do with patience I believe. I then swap collection bottles and collect my tales, by opening up the tap wide and collect as much as possible for a half hour or so. This enables me to collect most of the ethanol that was in my boiler for redistillation at a later time. Now because of the height of my column (1.5 metres) I always collect at approximately 95%ABV from the start of my run until I collect the tales. Having said that, I still get an off smell towards the end, but I choose to let the carbon do its job and clean up these smells.

            Hope this goes some way to explaining what is happening. As a fellow cane toad, if you require any other assistance please don’t hesitate to email me direct.

            Yours in Spirit!

            Robert

            I have a Telltrue in the pot, only because the pot serves as my hot
            water tank for sparging in all grain brewing of beers, and one,
            removed from my mash tun (also used for brewing beer) relocated to
            the top of my column.

            I've noticed the relative correlation of temp changes from the pot to
            the top end of the column towards the end of distilling, but have
            never really understood what was happening.

            So what is happening when the pot temp increases towards the end and
            the column temp is difficult to stabilise? I use gas for heating.

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2003
              > So what is happening when the pot temp increases towards the end and
              > the column temp is difficult to stabilise? I use gas for heating.

              The one in the pot is showing the steady decrease in alcohol... as the % alcohol there drops, the boiling point will steadily increase from say 90C up towards 100C.

              At the head of the column, the rising vapour has been purified by the falling reflux liquid, and is therefore of a much higher purity, and thus lower temperature (78-80C). At the start of the run, when the vapour is quite strong in alcohol, little reflux is needed to help improve it. Thus, the head temperature will be reasonably constant. Later in the run, when the pot is running out of alcohol, the vapour will only have a low % of alcohol in it too - and thus need quite a lot of reflux to help purify it. If you dont adjust the reflux ratio, you'll see this as an increase in the vapour temperature.

              So at the start of the run, the head & boiler will be at quite different compositions and hence temperatures. Very late in the run, if you havent adjusted the reflux, then if there is little purifying happening, then the two will become closer.

              See http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm for a bit more about this - in particular the graph there is very helpful, and http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm

              Tony
            • Shane Kirkman
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
                After a weeks searching the net and bad results, can anyone tell me the name and where'about's of a good cheap digital thermometer in OZ. Besides the DickSmith $29.95, I don't like it. I am after one on a cable if I can, it makes easier reading

                Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                Shane.

                ---
              • Robert N
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003

                  Hi Shane have you had a look at these electronics stores; you should be able to find what you are looking for.

                  http://www1.jaycar.com.au/

                  http://www.tandy.com.au/cgi-bin/tandy.storefront

                  http://www.rs-components.com.au/index.html

                  http://www.prime-electronics.com.au/

                  Yours in Spirit

                  Robert

                  After a weeks searching the net and bad results, can anyone tell me the name and where'about's of a good cheap digital thermometer in OZ. Besides the DickSmith $29.95, I don't like it. I am after one on a cable if I can, it makes easier reading

                  Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                  Shane.

                  ---
                  8/07/2003

                • Reima
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 11, 2003
                    Try Actrol Philips Refrigeration supply store, they have one that reads 1/10 of degrees.
                    Reima