Thermometer

  • Rocky S
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hey Group, Do you need a thermometer in the pot? Think
      I would like to have one there. I've seen all kinds of
      setups on the web but not sure if a temp reading for
      the pot is of any use. Thanks, R

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 31, 2002
        A thermometer in the pot will tell you what %alcohol is left in there. I find I dont need one because I generally know before I start how much alcohol to expect (based on the amount of sugar used), so I know how much to collect before getting fancy trying to wring out the tails.

        Tony
        http://homedistiller.org
      • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 31, 2002
          I only use one thermometer at the top of my column.
          The end of the run is marked by a rise in the temp
          at the top of the column.

          -A

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rocky S <hardrock37us@y...> wrote:
          > Hey Group, Do you need a thermometer in the pot? Think
          > I would like to have one there. I've seen all kinds of
          > setups on the web but not sure if a temp reading for
          > the pot is of any use. Thanks, R

          > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2002

            Hi Rocky, I have a thermometer in both the boiler and in the head of the column. The one in the boiler is mainly there as a backup to my guestamate on how much I should/have/will collect as I go through the process. It also beats burning the hand each time you touch it to see how warm it is also. As Tony stated it isn’t necessary.

            Yours in Spirit!

            Robert

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1 11:05 AM

              You don't need a thermometer in the pot. If you are just interested or want your rig to look cool -- by all means stick that thermometer in
              the pot!

               Rocky S <hardrock37us@...> wrote:

              Hey Group, Do you need a thermometer in the pot? Think I would like to have one there. I've seen all kinds of setups on the web but not sure if a temp reading for the pot is of any use. Thanks, R

              I can be wrong I must say.
              Cheers, Alex...

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • stevenbwilliams2003 <williams@ledanet.co
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4 10:34 PM
                I have a Telltrue in the pot, only because the pot serves as my hot
                water tank for sparging in all grain brewing of beers, and one,
                removed from my mash tun (also used for brewing beer) relocated to
                the top of my column.

                I've noticed the relative correlation of temp changes from the pot to
                the top end of the column towards the end of distilling, but have
                never really understood what was happening.

                So what is happening when the pot temp increases towards the end and
                the column temp is difficult to stabilise? I use gas for heating.
              • Robert N
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5 12:46 AM

                  Hi Steve, not wishing to teach you to suck lemons here, so would you pardon me if I start with the basics. As you see the temperature in the pot increase through the run, this is the boiling temperature of the wash inside the boiler at that point. This temperature increases as the amount of ethanol in the boiler decreases. My wash starts boiling at around the 85~87 degrees Celsius. When there is bugger all ethanol in the boiler the temperature will have reached approximately 100 degrees Celsius, or the boiling point of water.   As you reach this point the temperature of the vapour at the top of you column will become unstable because of the lack of ethanol in the boiler. This will lead to an increase in the higher order alcohols and fusil oils to come over if they are allowed to.

                  The way I personally run my column and others vary on their operation mainly because of the differing configuration of their column, is I have a thermometer with an alarm in my column head. When the temperature reaches this preset, the alarm goes off. I then wind back the collection rate, (Collect less) until I cannot keep the temperature stable or the collection rate is such that it isn’t worth proceeding any longer. Both of these happen at around the same time, a lot to do with patience I believe. I then swap collection bottles and collect my tales, by opening up the tap wide and collect as much as possible for a half hour or so. This enables me to collect most of the ethanol that was in my boiler for redistillation at a later time. Now because of the height of my column (1.5 metres) I always collect at approximately 95%ABV from the start of my run until I collect the tales. Having said that, I still get an off smell towards the end, but I choose to let the carbon do its job and clean up these smells.

                  Hope this goes some way to explaining what is happening. As a fellow cane toad, if you require any other assistance please don’t hesitate to email me direct.

                  Yours in Spirit!

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5 10:54 AM
                    > So what is happening when the pot temp increases towards the end and
                    > the column temp is difficult to stabilise? I use gas for heating.

                    The one in the pot is showing the steady decrease in alcohol... as the % alcohol there drops, the boiling point will steadily increase from say 90C up towards 100C.

                    At the head of the column, the rising vapour has been purified by the falling reflux liquid, and is therefore of a much higher purity, and thus lower temperature (78-80C). At the start of the run, when the vapour is quite strong in alcohol, little reflux is needed to help improve it. Thus, the head temperature will be reasonably constant. Later in the run, when the pot is running out of alcohol, the vapour will only have a low % of alcohol in it too - and thus need quite a lot of reflux to help purify it. If you dont adjust the reflux ratio, you'll see this as an increase in the vapour temperature.

                    So at the start of the run, the head & boiler will be at quite different compositions and hence temperatures. Very late in the run, if you havent adjusted the reflux, then if there is little purifying happening, then the two will become closer.

                    See http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm for a bit more about this - in particular the graph there is very helpful, and http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm

                    Tony
                  • Shane Kirkman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003
                      After a weeks searching the net and bad results, can anyone tell me the name and where'about's of a good cheap digital thermometer in OZ. Besides the DickSmith $29.95, I don't like it. I am after one on a cable if I can, it makes easier reading

                      Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                      Shane.

                      ---
                    • Robert N
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 10, 2003

                        Hi Shane have you had a look at these electronics stores; you should be able to find what you are looking for.

                        http://www1.jaycar.com.au/

                        http://www.tandy.com.au/cgi-bin/tandy.storefront

                        http://www.rs-components.com.au/index.html

                        http://www.prime-electronics.com.au/

                        Yours in Spirit

                        Robert

                        After a weeks searching the net and bad results, can anyone tell me the name and where'about's of a good cheap digital thermometer in OZ. Besides the DickSmith $29.95, I don't like it. I am after one on a cable if I can, it makes easier reading

                        Eat-Drink-Smoke and be Happy.
                        Shane.

                        ---
                        8/07/2003