Re: [Distillers] Warning - Toxic "copper" scrubber alert

  • giddyup06@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
      What were you going to use these copper balls for? If just for scrubbing find
      a commercial restaurant supply and get the stainless brillo. Pretty big ball
      of 1/8 '" wide flat strands balled up into a mushroom shaped cap. They are
      indestructible.

      Chris richard
    • giddyup06@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
        Chinese made stuff is nothing but cheap crap. We won't even use their
        exported steel pipe on jobs because the alloy make up is never consistant.
        This goes for painted toys as well. They have next to zero enviromental laws
        over there so you have no clue to what coatings are applied to a finished
        product. Alot of the plates, china, ect... have come across with a high lead
        count in the glazes as well. Cheap is what you get when you buy cheap.
        Quality lasts and never has to be upgraded. Whats cheaper in the long run?
        Buying once or 5 times?

        Chris Richard
      • BillyWeeble@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
          In a message dated 12/30/02 3:01:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          giddyup06@... writes:

          << What were you going to use these copper balls for? >>

          Howdy Chris, I've used SS as column packing then tried copper (per wise
          instructions from this list - Chore Boy and another good one I can't remember
          right now) and I like the flavor the copper imparts. Gotta clean 'em more
          often, tho, due to the oxidation, so the ones I still have are looking pretty
          ratty. Just being farsighted and thrifty. Well, farsighted anyway....

          << Chinese made stuff is nothing but cheap crap. >>

          For me it was an inexpensive gamble, but you are absolutely correct.
          That's another reason why I don't buy anything from Walmart. I don't
          (usually) buy Made In China.

          To let everyone on this list know about the hazards and pitfalls of our
          hobby is a moral imperative. Mistakes just aren't as funny if you aren't
          there to experience them!
        • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
            I use the "Chore Boy" stainless with good results.

            > Someone with lots of knowledge suggested "Chore Boy" brand. I bought
            it and it is indeed a copper scrubber.