steel flange

  • Rocky S
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
      Hi Folks, New guy here. Thinking about useing a steel
      floor flange in 2" dia. to attach the colunm to the
      lid. Looks like there will be about three threads
      exposed to the vapors. Would this be a problem? I read
      all the post about the steel drum, but this doesn't
      seem to extream to me, or could it be trouble? I
      bought it new, because I couldn't find anything else
      to use, and this thing is getting into the wallet. Any
      suggestions? Thanx for the great group, Rocko

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002

        My boiler is a staniless stell 20 Liter cooking stock pot and I have two flanges - one of them is cast iron and the other is brass.You can see the iron flange on this photo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/files/OFTS/DR/DR6A.JPG There is no difference in the distillate flavor. The cast iron flange does rust a little. There is absolutely no traces of rust or other inclusions in the distillate. It does show a little of surface rust spots. Other than cosmetic appearance I did not detect anything. With this rate of deterioration this flange should outlast my grandchildren's grandchildren.

         Rocky S <hardrock37us@...> wrote:

        Hi Folks, New guy here. Thinking about useing a steel
        floor flange in 2" dia. to attach the colunm to the
        lid. Looks like there will be about three threads
        exposed to the vapors. Would this be a problem? I read
        all the post about the steel drum, but this doesn't
        seem to extream to me, or could it be trouble? I
        bought it new, because I couldn't find anything else
        to use, and this thing is getting into the wallet. Any
        suggestions? Thanx for the great group, Rocko

        I can be wrong I must say.
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
          I'd just cover the exposed steel part with RTV or aquarium grade
          silicone.

          Greetz, riku

          > My boiler is a staniless stell 20 Liter cooking stock pot and I
          have two flanges - one of them is cast iron and the other is
          brass.You can see the iron flange on this photo:
          is no difference in the distillate flavor. The cast iron flange does
          rust a little. There is absolutely no traces of rust or other
          inclusions in the distillate. It does show a little of surface rust
          spots. Other than cosmetic appearance I did not detect anything. With
          this rate of deterioration this flange should outlast my
          grandchildren's grandchildren.
          > Rocky S <hardrock37us@y...> wrote:Hi Folks, New guy here. Thinking
          about useing a steel
          > floor flange in 2" dia. to attach the colunm to the
          > lid. Looks like there will be about three threads
          > exposed to the vapors. Would this be a problem? I read
          > all the post about the steel drum, but this doesn't
          > seem to extream to me, or could it be trouble? I
          > bought it new, because I couldn't find anything else
          > to use, and this thing is getting into the wallet. Any
          > suggestions? Thanx for the great group, Rocko
          >
          > I can be wrong I must say.
          > Cheers, Alex...

        • Robert Stam
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
            Hi Alex...

            What are those flanges used for in their previous lives? just so I know where to start looking for one to fit to a beer keg.
            Cheers, Rob

             Rocky S <hardrock37us@...> wrote:

            Hi Folks, New guy here. Thinking about useing a steel
            floor flange in 2" dia. to attach the colunm to the
            lid. Looks like there will be about three threads
            exposed to the vapors. Would this be a problem? I read
            all the post about the steel drum, but this doesn't
            seem to extream to me, or could it be trouble? I
            bought it new, because I couldn't find anything else
            to use, and this thing is getting into the wallet. Any
            suggestions? Thanx for the great group, Rocko

            I can be wrong I must say.
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

          • BOKAKOB
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002

              I picked them up in a plumbing supply house. I suggest to get "brass companion flange." It is a flange where there is no threads. It costs 10 times less than the flange with threads. The threaded 2" diameter flsange was around $165.00 The companion flange with a smooth bored opening was $14.00 If you are not picky, you can solder 2" dia. copper pipe right in that flange. I was a little more elaborate.

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                Thanks Alex... I'll look for a brass companion flange - unthreaded.

                Cheers, Rob

              • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                  You might try covering the steel part with
                  a little teflon plumbers tape. It comes in
                  varying thicknesses. You'll probably want
                  the thickest you can get for semi-permanent
                  use.
                  I use the thin stuff on the threaded
                  fittings on my copper column. I originally
                  didn't use anything and one of my fittings has
                  seized up. I've beat on and heated it, but
                  with no success.

                  -A

                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 31, 2002
                      Someone mentioned using a candle or parafin wax to loosen jammed fittings, you melt the wax into the fitting and it penetrates the threads lubricating them. Give this a try and lets know how it works. Cheers Bill...

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 31, 2002
                        Hey, Thanks for all the input. I will go ahead and use
                        the steel flange. Maybe I should have called it an
                        Iron flange, because it looks just like the one in the
                        pic. Rob, mine came from a plumbing supply store, it
                        was sold as a 2" Floor flange. $6.00

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/evt=1207/*http://sbc.yahoo.com/>

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
                          I managed to find a 2" brass (threaded) floor flange at a plumbing
                          supply. So, something other then iron DOES exist. It was total luck
                          as it was the last one they had in stock and the guy at the shop
                          indicated that it wasn't something they normally stock. I've been
                          pretty happy with it. If you call around, maybe you can find one
                          yourself. I payed $20 for mine.

                          Picture:

                          jpg

                          Good luck!

                          -CX

                        • Robert <dinks_c@yahoo.com.au>
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                            You could also try a ships chandlery for brass fittings of similar
                            type.
                            Robert

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@y...>"

                            .

                          • giddyup06@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                              I can get brass flanges all day long in any size you want up to 36 inch.

                              Chris Richard
                            • giddyup06@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                And these are sweat flanges..4 hole..you can either silfoss (recomended) or
                                solder but make sure you use lead free.

                                Chris Richard
                              • zuggetsr <zugget@aol.com>
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  In the states, I just saw a 2" brass flange for $5 (USD) @ Home Depot.

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert <dinks_c@y...>"
                                  <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
                                  > You could also try a ships chandlery for brass fittings of similar
                                  > type.
                                  > Robert
                                  >
                                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@y...>"
                                  > <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
                                  > > I managed to find a 2" brass (threaded) floor flange at a
                                  > plumbing
                                  > > supply. So, something other then iron DOES exist. It was total
                                  > luck
                                  > > as it was the last one they had in stock and the guy at the shop
                                  > > indicated that it wasn't something they normally stock. I've been
                                  > > pretty happy with it. If you call around, maybe you can find one
                                  > > yourself. I payed $20 for mine.
                                  > >
                                  > > Picture:

                                  > .
                                  > > jpg
                                  > >

                                  > > Good luck!
                                  > >
                                  > > -CX
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rocky S <hardrock37us@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > > Hi Folks, New guy here. Thinking about useing a steel
                                  > > > floor flange in 2" dia. to attach the colunm to the
                                  > > > lid. Looks like there will be about three threads
                                  > > > exposed to the vapors. Would this be a problem? I read
                                  > > > all the post about the steel drum, but this doesn't
                                  > > > seem to extream to me, or could it be trouble? I
                                  > > > bought it new, because I couldn't find anything else
                                  > > > to use, and this thing is getting into the wallet. Any
                                  > > > suggestions? Thanx for the great group, Rocko

                                  > > > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                                  > > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                • Tim Kovac
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003

                                    In Australia as well?

                                    Regards,

                                    Tim

                                    >From: giddyup06@...
                                    >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: steel flange
                                    >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:16:00 EST
                                    >
                                    >I can get brass flanges all day long in any size you want up to 36 inch.
                                    >
                                    >Chris Richard

                                  • Gil Hardwick
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                      Sorry to butt in here, again, but this flange crap has been going
                                      on for weeks.

                                      For Heck's sake, nobody here is from any Third World economy
                                      battling to get a half-decent meal once a week.

                                      Any hardware supplier on our part can get us anything we want,
                                      from anywhere on the planet.

                                      All you have to do is roll in there asking the right questions about
                                      what it is you want to buy, then persist in making sure they order
                                      it in for you at the price you're prepared to pay.

                                      Really, all you want is a 2" brass stupid bloody flange. I would have
                                      been more concerned myself about what thread they supplied, and
                                      even then happy enough to turn it out and sweat a pipe fitting in with
                                      a bit of silver solder. So long as it does the job.

                                      Don't worry too much if it is made in China. My wife is Chinese, and
                                      I know a lot about what is being manufactured there at the top end of
                                      the market.

                                      All it has to be is brass. Fake bloody pot scrubbers is bullshit . . .

                                      Gil

                                      At 03:56 PM 3/01/03 +1100, you wrote:

                                      >In Australia as well?
                                      >
                                      >Regards,
                                      >
                                      >Tim
                                      >
                                      > >From: giddyup06@...
                                      > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                      > >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: steel flange
                                      > >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:16:00 EST
                                      > >
                                      > >I can get brass flanges all day long in any size you want up to 36 inch.
                                      > >
                                      > >Chris Richard
                                    • BOKAKOB

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                          Sorry Gil but I have to warn anybody about the materials coming from China.
                                          Here in the states we have what is known as "Underwriters Labs" and they do
                                          indeed test all materials that will be coming into the country as is to be
                                          used in the food market. Chinese stuff is high in lead. The steel is high in
                                          sulfur and impurities and the brass does not contain the highest degree of
                                          alloys. There is a lot of filler in it. We cannot use any of those materials
                                          if it will come in contact with potable water or areas that are deemed "food
                                          grade."

                                          I do not see it a waste of time keeping people from getting ill or suffering
                                          effects down the road from the wrong products being used. You see this is my
                                          job. One that takes over 5 years of continuos education just to be able to be
                                          CONSIDERED to hold a license.

                                          You are making a food product. You will be serving this to friends and
                                          family. To not insure it is in fact 100% free of health depleting impurities
                                          would be on par with serving then poison.

                                          This is in no way a slam on any culture. It is just the truth.

                                          Chris Richard
                                          Fort Worth, TX, USA
                                        • Gil Hardwick
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                            At 05:48 PM 3/01/03 -0500, Chris Richard wrote:
                                            >Sorry Gil but I have to warn anybody about the materials coming from China.
                                            >Here in the states we have what is known as "Underwriters Labs" and they do
                                            >indeed test all materials that will be coming into the country as is to be
                                            >used in the food market. Chinese stuff is high in lead. The steel is high in
                                            >sulfur and impurities and the brass does not contain the highest degree of
                                            >alloys. There is a lot of filler in it. We cannot use any of those materials
                                            >if it will come in contact with potable water or areas that are deemed "food
                                            >grade."
                                            >
                                            >I do not see it a waste of time keeping people from getting ill or suffering
                                            >effects down the road from the wrong products being used. You see this is my
                                            >job. One that takes over 5 years of continuos education just to be able to be
                                            >CONSIDERED to hold a license.

                                            All you have to do at your end is specify what you want, and they will
                                            make it for you. If China is supplying low grade products to the US it is
                                            only what the US orders.

                                            That's obvious. If the product was not to specification the buyer would
                                            not pay for it, it could not be released FOB at the port of embarkation
                                            from which point the buyer takes responsibility, and very certainly if the
                                            buyer did not want to sell it the container would not be picked up from
                                            the port of entry, unpacked and distributed to all those retail outlets.

                                            What I am saying here, Chris, and without being personal, if you are
                                            so highly qualified in this area why don't you simply do your job?

                                            The facts are that the Chinese play only a very small role in the trade.
                                            Perhaps you should go talk to the warehouses supplying your cheap
                                            retail outlets. Maybe also talk to your "Underwriters Labs" and ask them
                                            why they are allowing the US to import and sell the stuff.

                                            >You are making a food product. You will be serving this to friends and
                                            >family. To not insure it is in fact 100% free of health depleting impurities
                                            >would be on par with serving then poison.
                                            >
                                            >This is in no way a slam on any culture. It is just the truth.

                                            Chris, you fail to grasp the realities of foreign trade, and you certainly
                                            fail to show that you grasp the workings of your own administration.

                                            The Chinese have no control over what gets sold in the US. You have
                                            the power yourselves, all you have to do is apply it. It is not the Chinese
                                            seeking to dump their inferior products onto the US market, but US
                                            warehouses specifically ordering them in and selling them.

                                            If you have standards in the US why don't you enforce them? If the
                                            product poses a risk to health all you have to do is approach your FDA
                                            people to withdraw them from the market.

                                            Failing that, just don't buy the stuff. Believe me it is that simple.

                                            Around this side of the planet, all of us well within the Chinese sphere
                                            of influence, once a product is shown to pose a health risk it can be
                                            withdrawn from sale in 20 countries within the one week.

                                            That's how closely our governments cooperate without anyone having
                                            to bother rolling out their qualifications or explaining their concerns.

                                            They just do it.

                                            Kind regards, and good luck in your own efforts,

                                            Gil
                                          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                                              Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes. Materials & fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are restricted. If you're going to use an item for in contact with your spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition. Low grade materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?" debate)

                                              Tony
                                            • Gil Hardwick
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                                                At 10:14 PM 4/01/03 +1300, you wrote:
                                                >Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be
                                                >careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes. Materials &
                                                >fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are
                                                >restricted. If you're going to use an item for in contact with your
                                                >spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition. Low grade
                                                >materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other
                                                >inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?"
                                                >debate)
                                                >
                                                >Tony

                                                From what I have been getting from him behind the scenes, Tony, he is
                                                far more concerned about slanty-eyed gook bitches dumping crap onto
                                                the US market. If you want I can forward his email to you, though I very
                                                much expect you'd be as interested in that sort of thing as I am.

                                                I could say a few things in reply about US-based multinationals setting
                                                themselves up in Asia, but I won't. It's not what this forum is about.

                                                Here I agree with you, that it is up to us to know what materials we are
                                                using. As I wrote a couple of days ago, and have repeated, we are free
                                                to specify what we want and make sure it is ordered in for us.

                                                There is a lot of expertise present among members. I agree with Mike
                                                McCaw here too, that a great service can be offered members by those
                                                who can source high quality material and fittings from anywhere on the
                                                planet without anyone having a shot at any one country.

                                                Let's just enjoy our good hobby, and if we chance to meet a few beers . . .

                                                Gil
                                              • tipringwaterpipe
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003

                                                  Hello all

                                                  I'm a new guy at this hobby and have just about finished contstructing my 1st still. Most if not all the information for the construction has come from the web and people like yourselves. thank you very much. I'm also new to this forum and i was considering using plastic screw anchors as a packing material. I did get a great buy on stainless steel pot scrubbers, and although I see no signs of degenaration (i.e. rust), I do get a slight attaction with a magnet. These ss scrubbers are also from China, and so are some good friends of mine. Anyway I was wondering what the conclusion was regarding using plastic's as packing?

                                                  Thanks Tip

                                                  PS: Happy New Years to you all.

                                                   Gil Hardwick <gruagach@...> wrote:

                                                  At 10:14 PM 4/01/03 +1300, you wrote:
                                                  >Gil, I believe the point that Chris was making is that we need to be
                                                  >careful when constructing something for food-grade purposes.  Materials &
                                                  >fittings can be imported for many different purposes, not all of which are
                                                  >restricted.  If you're going to use an item for in contact with your
                                                  >spirits, just be certain that you do know its composition.  Low grade
                                                  >materials can be sourced from many places, as can the use of other
                                                  >inappropriate materials (i.e. the "which plastics ?"
                                                  >debate)
                                                  >
                                                  >Tony

                                                  From what I have been getting from him behind the scenes, Tony, he is
[...]

                                                • Tony & Elle Ackland
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                                                    > I did get a great buy on stainless steel pot scrubbers, and although I
                                                    see no signs of degenaration (i.e. rust), I do get a slight attaction with
                                                    a magnet.

                                                    Some stainless is still slightly magnetic.

                                                    The advantage of using scrubbers, rather than anything else, is their huge
                                                    surface area vs the volume they take up - probably 10x that of the screw
                                                    anchors. If you do use an alternative material, you'll need your column to
                                                    be longer to achieve the same purity, and wider to sustain the same
                                                    flowrate (heat input).

                                                    Tony
                                                  • BOKAKOB

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 5, 2003

                                                        Thanks BOKAKOB

                                                        That's all I need to know, the plastic screw anchors are out and I'll go with the ss pot scrubbers that I purchased. In Canada, I believe 'Everclear' is only available in Quebec or possibly in the Yukon or NW Territories. Where I live (Vancouver outskirts) it's not available. The cheapest Vodka at our LCB stores is Bolskaya. This is distilled in Vancouver under license and costs $45.55 CDN per 1.75 litre. That's about $26.03 CDN a litre. Highway robbery if you ask me. Ya know I was just thinking....this Bolskaya vodka that I buy is bottled and sold in plastic bottles.....hmmmm. It may have toxic labels...damn. Anyhow my solder joint's are cool enough to polish, so back to work for me....

                                                        Thanks again

                                                        Tip

                                                      • peter_vcb <viciousblackout@yahoo.com>
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 8, 2003
                                                          Alex mentioned everclear since it is 95% and which is the highest
                                                          strength your plastic still will be exposed to. leave the plastic in
                                                          everclear for a few days and then dilute it with water and it may
                                                          turn milky as the plastic comes out of solution.