The First 150mls

  • ned_58 <warrenk9@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hello All
      Can anyone tell me if i can use the first 150 mls from my 25 lts
      still fore anything ?. I thought i might be able to use it in my
      mower. I just don't like throwing it away. Any suggestions would be
      helpfull
      Thanks NED
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2002
        Ned,

        > Can anyone tell me if i can use the first 150 mls from my 25 lts
        > still fore anything ?. I thought i might be able to use it in my
        > mower. I just don't like throwing it away. Any suggestions would be
        > helpfull

        That product is mostly good ethanol. Use it either in your lawnmower (I
        do), or BBQ, or just as a general solvent in the workshop (degreasing etc)

        Tony
      • Garry <bramstonbeachcomber@yahoo.com.au>
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2002
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ned_58 <warrenk9@h...>"
          <warrenk9@h...> wrote:
          > Hello All
          > Can anyone tell me if i can use the first 150 mls from my 25 lts
          > still fore anything ?. I thought i might be able to use it in my
          > mower. I just don't like throwing it away. Any suggestions would be
          > helpfull
          > Thanks NED

          Ned,
          I always keep some in a jar and take it camping with me. It makes
          great camp fire lighter. But mostly, I take off about 200ml and mix
          it with the tails and dump it into the next wash that I burn.

          Cheers, Garry.
        • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2002
            It will burn as a fuel. It is also a superior parts cleaning
            solvent. You can soak your charcoal briquettes in it. You can clean
            paint brushes with it.

            The little bit that will come out of your still on each run could be
            added to your vehicles fuel tank with no modifications at all. As
            long as it is foreshots and not tails. The only difference is that
            foreshots tend to be higher in ethanol content.

            adding less than 200 ml to a 10 gallon or larger fuel tank full of
            gasoline will make less than a percentage point mixture. Ethanol can
            be used in percentage mixtures with gasoline up to about 20 percent
            before fuel / air mixtures need to be adjusted. If you use a heavier
            percentage mixture, then you will need to richen the mixture
            adjustment.

            If the weather in your area gets cold (below freezing) then adding
            foreshots would make an excellant fuel sysem antifreeze because the
            ethanol content tends to soak up the moisture content and then allows
            it to be burned.

          • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 29, 2002
              150ml seems a lot to throw away. According to Ian Smiley:
              Foreshots 3%
              Heads 20-35%
              Middle 55-40%
              Tails 8%
              Lost 14%
              Based on that - throw away 3% (for the fairies),and redistill 20% (if
              you are finicky) Heads and 8% Tails.
              e.g.With a 10% wash you could distil 2500ml pure alcohol, but actual
              yield is 2150ml (lose 14%)
              Foreshots are the first 75ml (for the fairies or Windex)
              Heads the next 500ml (redistill?)
              Middle the next 1375ml (keep)
              Tails the next 200ml (redistill)
              Lost 350ml (angel share?)

              Wal

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Garry <bramstonbeachcomber@y...>"
              <bramstonbeachcomber@y...> wrote:
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ned_58 <warrenk9@h...>"
              > <warrenk9@h...> wrote:
              > > Hello All
              > > Can anyone tell me if i can use the first 150 mls from my 25 lts
              > > still fore anything ?. I thought i might be able to use it in my
              > > mower. I just don't like throwing it away. Any suggestions would
              be
              > > helpfull
              > > Thanks NED
              >
              > Ned,
              > I always keep some in a jar and take it camping with me. It makes
              > great camp fire lighter. But mostly, I take off about 200ml and mix
              > it with the tails and dump it into the next wash that I burn.
              >
              > Cheers, Garry.
            • Lynne
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
                At 05:51 PM 12/30/02 +1300, Tony wrote:

                >That product is mostly good ethanol. Use it either in your lawnmower (I
                >do), or BBQ, or just as a general solvent in the workshop (degreasing etc)

                Is it safe to store in plastic bottles like, eg. Calite? I spend far too
                much on commercial degreasers for my Weber ...

                Lynne
              • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2002
                  Try wiping a bit of it on the outside of the plastic
                  bottle. If it turns cloudy or gets soft, chances
                  are the plastic is alcohol soluable. I've used
                  the 2 liter Coke bottles in an emergency (got a batch
                  cooking and I run out of glass bottles!!!).
                  Even at 95% they hold up well.

                  -A

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
                    PETE plastic Coke bottles have a slightly porous microstructure and
                    is not recommended for alcohol above 40% as it can evaporate, and
                    even for coke only for 6 months as the CO2 can escape over time.
                    Wal
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep <nanosleep@y...>"