Alterations contd

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      Robert,
                 Imagine you would be right about the the Fireye equip and after doing a quick search on the RobertShaw Controls Company last night although I couldnt get to their site found enough info  and some relevant details on other sites to suggest they would be the right company for controls.
      Thankyou for the part numbers. If they are available here should be a lot easier to track down.
      Was talking about the the condenser windings  rather than the reflux section by the way. If you look you will see I said condenser. By doing this you could shorten the condenser somewhat and also reduce the temperature of the emerging distillate a little. Have found this is more critical  than most people realise for drinking alcohol. You dont want it too hot or too cold either as in this case the water entering the reflux section may be too hot as a result  and not achieve what it was designed to do. It is the temperature of the water entering the initial reflux section (at the top) that determines the true reflux, the amount of vapour entering the condenser, and the final output. Also the alcohol %. It is not only the boiler that determines the output. Well worth experimenting with and playing around with to achieve optimum performance in my opinion. If you compare all the 803 stills made unless all measurements are identical and the windings all the same you will find there are reasonable differences in terms of and quality of performance if the boiler settings  and water flow remains the same . Okay I know that most people use just the water flow to control this as these parameters are already set but a lot of the time it would be these aspects in this particular design that would cause some of the discrepancies. In a fairly basic still like this one by playing around with this parameter you could improve the performance and efficiency somewhat. I am thinking about Keith and ethanol proof for biodiesel in this case.
      I have about 2.5 to 3 cubic feet of 16mm 316 ss Pall rings some of which I could use for the packing if I decide to build a 4" version which should work well.
      B.r.,  David