FW: inverting sugar

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2002
      A question from Khlid..
      ********************************
      can someone advise me how long should sugar and citric be boiled to
      attain 70% inversion and how to measure the degree of inversion that
      has taken place. thanks
    • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2002
        There used to be a chart of pH against time chart at a sugar site
        once - I downloaded it. At a pH of 3.5 it takes about 15 minutes at
        100C. At a pH of 4.5 it takes about 120 mins at 100C.

        A simple recipe is
        1 kg sugar
        450 ml water
        1/4 tsp citric acid (equiv to 1/2 lemon)
        Boil for 15 minutes

        Wal

        See msg 1258
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2002
          A pH of 3.5 is about 0.6% total acid or 6 g/l or 3 g/500 ml water.
          1 lemon is equivalent to about 3 g of citric acid or 1/2 tsp citric
          acid.
          Therefore you will need to add about 1/2 tsp of citric acid (or cream
          of tartar) or 1 lemon to 450 ml of water to get a pH of 3.5.

          Wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco <waljaco@h...>"
          <waljaco@h...> wrote:
          > There used to be a chart of pH against time chart at a sugar site
          > once - I downloaded it. At a pH of 3.5 it takes about 15 minutes at
          > 100C. At a pH of 4.5 it takes about 120 mins at 100C.
          >
          > A simple recipe is
          > 1 kg sugar
          > 450 ml water
          > 1/2 tsp citric acid (equiv to 1 lemon)
          > Boil for 15 minutes
          >
          > Wal
          >
          > See msg 1258
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
          > <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
          > > A question from Khlid..
          > > ********************************
          > > can someone advise me how long should sugar and citric be boiled
          > > attain 70% inversion and how to measure the degree of inversion
          > that
          > > has taken place. thanks
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2002

            I exclusively make sugar wash lately. Convenience and inexpensive components completely dominated whatever flavor I can get from "the real stuff." So, coming back to inverting... it is not required. Actually a few messages back I wrote "fool proof sugar wash" recepie. The only things required are sugar, yeast and nutrients from a reputable manufacturer (believe me it is cheaper in small quantities) and hot water. I quit "converting" sugar - makes no difference.

             "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:

            A question from Khlid..

            I can be wrong I must say.
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • waljaco <waljaco@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2002
              Zymase, a yeast enzyme does the conversion for you during
              fermentation. Brewer's Sugar is a mixture of sucrose and glucose
              (dextrose) as the fructose apparently gives a cidery flavor.
              It is useful to make invert sugar syrup for sweetening liqueurs as it
              is much sweeter in taste and does not crystallise.
              1kg sugar, 450ml water, 1/2 tsp citric acid (or cream of tartar) -
              boil for 15 minutes. 1 litre invert syrup = 1 kg sugar or 1 cup syrup
              = 1 cup of sugar.
              Wal

              > I exclusively make sugar wash lately. Convenience and inexpensive
              components completely dominated whatever flavor I can get from "the
              real stuff." So, coming back to inverting... it is not required.
              Actually a few messages back I wrote "fool proof sugar wash" recepie.
              The only things required are sugar, yeast and nutrients from a
              reputable manufacturer (believe me it is cheaper in small quantities)
              and hot water. I quit "converting" sugar - makes no difference.
              > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote: A question
              from Khlid..

              Service.

              > I can be wrong I must say.
              > Cheers, Alex...

            • Robert N
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1 6:25 AM

                Hi there, I have been going through my backlog of distillers emails (1`85 to go although last week it was closer to 1200) and I read your recipe for a “fool proof sugar recipe” I have searched the archives and gone through all your emails (you are prolific) trying to find this recipe. From memory you source your yeast etc from winery supplies? Thankyou for such an interesting read, its people such as yourself that make this list what it is.

                Have a great day!

                Robert