Re: [Distillers] Questions for Meads

  • meads
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000

      From: darryn
      Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 12:38 PM
      Subject: [Distillers] Questions for Meads

      Hi Meads
      I assume that you are aging your Scotch on virgin oak,where do you purchase your chips and what company makes them ?I have found the Spirits Unlimited toasted oak and virgin oak very good,but some of the oak being sold at homebrew shops in Australia smells like dog turds.
      Thanks for your help.
      Darryn.

         Hi Darryn,
                        The oak chips I normally use are American virgin oak which is distributed by Code Imports and are available in homebrew shops here in New Zealand. I don't know whether using American oak chips is really "correct" for scotch but seems to work pretty good for us. All comes down to personal taste doesn't it?
       p.s. They don't smell like dog turds either :)
         Cheers,
                      Gordon Meads.