Flavourings & Hydrometers

  • Dick Grindley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 1999
      Hi all,

      Has anyone had any experience of:

      1. Re-calibrating a beer making hydrometer for use in distillation, my
      hydrometer only goes down to 986 so it's not much use. As far as I can
      see I've either got to reduce the weight in the bottom of the glass bulb
      or extend the length of the stem. What ever I manage to do I'm left with
      the problem of re-calibrating. Alternatively, are distilling hydrometers
      available in NZ & what range do they cover ?

      2. Using aromatherapy oils for flavouring spirit. I was browsing through
      a local health food shop & noticed the aromatherapy section had quite a
      large range of oils such as juniper, orange, coriander etc. By the look
      of them (& price) I think they must fairly concentrated but if only very
      small quantities are being used ....... ?? Reading the literature on
      distillation of botanicals the term 'oily droplets' is used so I think
      these two things must be similar, the aromatherapy manufacturers seem to
      be making a great point about the purity of their products but I seem to
      remember some thing about people having allergic reactions when they
      slapped these products on various parts of their anatomy (but that would
      be with a neat oil rather than the very dilute sort of solution we'd be
      using).
      --
      Dick on the Langwang