Vapor Management Still Design Requested

  • restevns <racerrand@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2002
      Hi All! HAvene't posted in awhile 'cause I've been SO busy
      distilling...and have a fantastically fun, and even better,
      fantastically effective time at it!

      Thanks to all (Mike N. Tony, BOKAKOB, numerous others, for all the
      help and suggestions for improvement. To recap - I now have a beer
      keg boiler, 5 ft column packed w/SS Scrubbies, inline overflow design
      w/ top-mounted condenser, fully insulated column and gas burner heat
      source. I get 95% purity and it tastes like perfection.

      I'm interested in possible improvements in speed and efficiency. Is
      the VM head the way to address this need? Or is it the case that
      it's hard to do any better than I'm doing now...

      If VM IS the way to go - does anyone have design drawers like
      BOKAKOB's hand drawns that are SO easy to read/use for the Vapor
      Management design?

      Lastly - is their any easy way to ferment a mash at higher than 20%
      to start with (greedy, I know! lol!)

      Thanks all in advance....
    • abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2002
        For VM head, in Mike's book there's some theory and drawings for a
        tested head. There's also miscellaneous information in the web and
        this forum. Another interesting item to ease our work would be Gert
        Strands new stripping still that works more or less automatically. He
        has promised to release blueprints by christmas or so. So I'm
        planning to have a beer stripper running for a week or so by itself,
        and then do a quick run with VM head which should allow me to use
        more power and less reflux for good quality product. Does this sound
        like a good plan to anyone?

        Greetz, riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "restevns <racerrand@h...>"
        <racerrand@h...> wrote:
        > Hi All! HAvene't posted in awhile 'cause I've been SO busy
        > distilling...and have a fantastically fun, and even better,
        > fantastically effective time at it!
        >
        > Thanks to all (Mike N. Tony, BOKAKOB, numerous others, for all the
        > help and suggestions for improvement. To recap - I now have a beer
        > keg boiler, 5 ft column packed w/SS Scrubbies, inline overflow
        design
        > w/ top-mounted condenser, fully insulated column and gas burner
        heat
        > source. I get 95% purity and it tastes like perfection.
        >
        > I'm interested in possible improvements in speed and efficiency.
        Is
        > the VM head the way to address this need? Or is it the case that
        > it's hard to do any better than I'm doing now...
        >
        > If VM IS the way to go - does anyone have design drawers like
        > BOKAKOB's hand drawns that are SO easy to read/use for the Vapor
        > Management design?
        >
        > Lastly - is their any easy way to ferment a mash at higher than 20%
        > to start with (greedy, I know! lol!)
        >

        > Thanks all in advance....
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2002
          restevns <racerrand@...> wrote:
          Subject: [Distillers] Vapor Management Still Design Requested

          I'm interested in possible improvements in speed and efficiency.  Is the VM head the way to address this need?  Or is it the case that it's hard to do any better than I'm doing now...
          You'll probably get as many different answers to that question as there are types of still!  No reason at all why VM shouldn't be used to scale up speed etc.  It's not the type of head unit you have as much as what kind of column you use.  That's where all the work goes on.  All that the different types of head units do is manage what arrives at the top.  There's been a lot posted on how to increase speed/volume, and a heap of good stuff on Tony's site about this.  All I can add to this is that vapour speed has a lot to do with purity, so if you want to increase volume then you need to think about how to process a larger amount of vapour whilst keeping the speed through the packing down.  Column diameter is one way ... but there is a limit on how far you can go before having to consider packing trays etc.  With increased amount of vapour there is a corresponding increase in the amount of liquid reflux to manage.

          All the best,
          Mike N