Re: Progress

  • c2h5oh_x
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
      I totally agree with you on the regarding the esthetics of the
      clamp. I'm not happy with the way it looks either. Your solution is
      excellent. I had a similar idea. But I have some future plans for
      this keg and I'm not quite ready to put more holes in it just yet.

      I have a friend that worked in the sanitary fittings industry for
      years and still has contacts. I just learned about this, otherwise I
      would have enlisted him sooner to help! Anyway, I am going to
      investigate the price of redoing the boiler "right" with a triclover
      fitting on top. I might have to sell off the current keg as a brew
      kettle and get a new one though.

      Regardless, the current incarnation should work well and I may find
      that it is adequate for the time being. (Though I do wish it looked
      better)

      Thanks for the suggestions and the sketch!.

      -CX

      --- In Distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

      > Here is what I would do:
      > No need for grommets. Use teflon tape wrapped around the
      thermometer and friction fit it in the opening. You will have to
      remove it anyway after each run. The hold down clamp is clumsy and
      negates months of approaching finesse. You might use a suggestion
      shown below on the attached sketch. SIicone works better than dough.
      > If you lightly sand the lip of the inverted bowl and spread
      silicone there it will work very well. Make sure to place this bowl
      on really flat glass, mirror or furniture surface covered with oiled
      waxed paper. Otherwise it will cure unevenly and will leak. It looks
      nice as is, especially that shiny bowl. Call this still "Silver
      Cardinal."
      > c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
      > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
      couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready to
      test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.
      > pg
      >
      > I can be wrong I must say.
      > Cheers, Alex...

    • c2h5oh_x
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
        THe picture is a bit desaturated. The column is in fact copper.
        Copper scrubbers as packing. Right now the lid gasket is cork, but
        I'm probably going to replace that with RTV.

        -CX

        --- In Distillers@y..., "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
        > It seems like all stainless still? I hope you have copper scourers
        as
        > filling. Do you use RTV as lid gasket? I've been using fermentation
        > bucket airlock washers for my thermometer sealing with good results.
        >
        > Greetz, riku
        >
        > --- In Distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
        > > couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm
        ready
        > > test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

        > > pg

        > > etail.jpg
        > >
        > > The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
        > > seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on
        > the
        > > sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid
        > I'll
        > > try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
        > > mention. Sounds like a great solution.
        > >
        > > On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol
        resistant
        > > gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point.
        Fight
        > > now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
        > > something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.
        > >
        > > -CX
      • travellerwiz
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
          Just thought I would throw you some "Food for thought".. I came
          across a post either here or in the new_distillers group about using
          an igloo water cooler as the boiler. You might want to check it out
          if you are considering getting a new keg as a boiler. It really looks
          like the perfect solution. All stainless steel inside and insulated
          for both "Hot" or "Cold". I've been trying to source one out myself
          but haven't had any success. Anyway take a look at it, here is the
          link.
          http://www.igloocommercial.com/6-1-1-2-2_industries_construction.cfm