Re: Progress

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
      It seems like all stainless still? I hope you have copper scourers as
      filling. Do you use RTV as lid gasket? I've been using fermentation
      bucket airlock washers for my thermometer sealing with good results.

      Greetz, riku

      --- In Distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:

      > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
      > couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready
      > test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

      > pg

      > etail.jpg
      >
      > The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
      > seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on
      the
      > sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid
      I'll
      > try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
      > mention. Sounds like a great solution.
      >
      > On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol resistant
      > gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point. Fight
      > now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
      > something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.
      >
      > -CX
    • c2h5oh_x
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
        I totally agree with you on the regarding the esthetics of the
        clamp. I'm not happy with the way it looks either. Your solution is
        excellent. I had a similar idea. But I have some future plans for
        this keg and I'm not quite ready to put more holes in it just yet.

        I have a friend that worked in the sanitary fittings industry for
        years and still has contacts. I just learned about this, otherwise I
        would have enlisted him sooner to help! Anyway, I am going to
        investigate the price of redoing the boiler "right" with a triclover
        fitting on top. I might have to sell off the current keg as a brew
        kettle and get a new one though.

        Regardless, the current incarnation should work well and I may find
        that it is adequate for the time being. (Though I do wish it looked
        better)

        Thanks for the suggestions and the sketch!.

        -CX

        --- In Distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

        > Here is what I would do:
        > No need for grommets. Use teflon tape wrapped around the
        thermometer and friction fit it in the opening. You will have to
        remove it anyway after each run. The hold down clamp is clumsy and
        negates months of approaching finesse. You might use a suggestion
        shown below on the attached sketch. SIicone works better than dough.
        > If you lightly sand the lip of the inverted bowl and spread
        silicone there it will work very well. Make sure to place this bowl
        on really flat glass, mirror or furniture surface covered with oiled
        waxed paper. Otherwise it will cure unevenly and will leak. It looks
        nice as is, especially that shiny bowl. Call this still "Silver
        Cardinal."
        > c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
        > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
        couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready to
        test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.
        > pg
        >
        > I can be wrong I must say.
        > Cheers, Alex...

      • c2h5oh_x
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
          THe picture is a bit desaturated. The column is in fact copper.
          Copper scrubbers as packing. Right now the lid gasket is cork, but
          I'm probably going to replace that with RTV.

          -CX

          --- In Distillers@y..., "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
          > It seems like all stainless still? I hope you have copper scourers
          as
          > filling. Do you use RTV as lid gasket? I've been using fermentation
          > bucket airlock washers for my thermometer sealing with good results.
          >
          > Greetz, riku
          >
          > --- In Distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
          > > couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm
          ready
          > > test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

          > > pg

          > > etail.jpg
          > >
          > > The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
          > > seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on
          > the
          > > sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid
          > I'll
          > > try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
          > > mention. Sounds like a great solution.
          > >
          > > On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol
          resistant
          > > gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point.
          Fight
          > > now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
          > > something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.
          > >
          > > -CX
        • travellerwiz
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
            Just thought I would throw you some "Food for thought".. I came
            across a post either here or in the new_distillers group about using
            an igloo water cooler as the boiler. You might want to check it out
            if you are considering getting a new keg as a boiler. It really looks
            like the perfect solution. All stainless steel inside and insulated
            for both "Hot" or "Cold". I've been trying to source one out myself
            but haven't had any success. Anyway take a look at it, here is the
            link.
            http://www.igloocommercial.com/6-1-1-2-2_industries_construction.cfm