Re: [Distillers] Progress

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002

      Here is what I would do:
      No need for grommets. Use teflon tape wrapped around the thermometer and friction fit it in the opening. You will have to remove it anyway after each run. The hold down clamp is clumsy and negates months of approaching finesse. You might use a suggestion shown below on the attached sketch. SIicone works better than dough.
      If you lightly sand the lip of the inverted bowl and spread silicone there it will work very well. Make sure to place this bowl on really flat glass, mirror or furniture surface covered with oiled waxed paper. Otherwise it will cure unevenly and will leak. It looks nice as is, especially that shiny bowl. Call this still "Silver Cardinal."

       c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@...> wrote:

      pg

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
        It seems like all stainless still? I hope you have copper scourers as
        filling. Do you use RTV as lid gasket? I've been using fermentation
        bucket airlock washers for my thermometer sealing with good results.

        Greetz, riku

        --- In Distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:

        > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
        > couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready
        > test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

        > pg

        > etail.jpg
        >
        > The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
        > seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on
        the
        > sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid
        I'll
        > try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
        > mention. Sounds like a great solution.
        >
        > On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol resistant
        > gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point. Fight
        > now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
        > something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.
        >
        > -CX
      • c2h5oh_x
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
          I totally agree with you on the regarding the esthetics of the
          clamp. I'm not happy with the way it looks either. Your solution is
          excellent. I had a similar idea. But I have some future plans for
          this keg and I'm not quite ready to put more holes in it just yet.

          I have a friend that worked in the sanitary fittings industry for
          years and still has contacts. I just learned about this, otherwise I
          would have enlisted him sooner to help! Anyway, I am going to
          investigate the price of redoing the boiler "right" with a triclover
          fitting on top. I might have to sell off the current keg as a brew
          kettle and get a new one though.

          Regardless, the current incarnation should work well and I may find
          that it is adequate for the time being. (Though I do wish it looked
          better)

          Thanks for the suggestions and the sketch!.

          -CX

          --- In Distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

          > Here is what I would do:
          > No need for grommets. Use teflon tape wrapped around the
          thermometer and friction fit it in the opening. You will have to
          remove it anyway after each run. The hold down clamp is clumsy and
          negates months of approaching finesse. You might use a suggestion
          shown below on the attached sketch. SIicone works better than dough.
          > If you lightly sand the lip of the inverted bowl and spread
          silicone there it will work very well. Make sure to place this bowl
          on really flat glass, mirror or furniture surface covered with oiled
          waxed paper. Otherwise it will cure unevenly and will leak. It looks
          nice as is, especially that shiny bowl. Call this still "Silver
          Cardinal."
          > c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
          > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
          couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready to
          test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.
          > pg
          >
          > I can be wrong I must say.
          > Cheers, Alex...

        • c2h5oh_x
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
            THe picture is a bit desaturated. The column is in fact copper.
            Copper scrubbers as packing. Right now the lid gasket is cork, but
            I'm probably going to replace that with RTV.

            -CX

            --- In Distillers@y..., "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
            > It seems like all stainless still? I hope you have copper scourers
            as
            > filling. Do you use RTV as lid gasket? I've been using fermentation
            > bucket airlock washers for my thermometer sealing with good results.
            >
            > Greetz, riku
            >
            > --- In Distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
            > > couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm
            ready
            > > test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

            > > pg

            > > etail.jpg
            > >
            > > The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
            > > seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on
            > the
            > > sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid
            > I'll
            > > try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
            > > mention. Sounds like a great solution.
            > >
            > > On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol
            resistant
            > > gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point.
            Fight
            > > now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
            > > something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.
            > >
            > > -CX
          • travellerwiz
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
              Just thought I would throw you some "Food for thought".. I came
              across a post either here or in the new_distillers group about using
              an igloo water cooler as the boiler. You might want to check it out
              if you are considering getting a new keg as a boiler. It really looks
              like the perfect solution. All stainless steel inside and insulated
              for both "Hot" or "Cold". I've been trying to source one out myself
              but haven't had any success. Anyway take a look at it, here is the
              link.
              http://www.igloocommercial.com/6-1-1-2-2_industries_construction.cfm