Progress

  • c2h5oh_x
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
      Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
      couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready to
      test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

      pg

      etail.jpg

      The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
      seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on the
      sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid I'll
      try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
      mention. Sounds like a great solution.

      On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol resistant
      gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point. Fight
      now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
      something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.

      -CX
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002

        Here is what I would do:
        No need for grommets. Use teflon tape wrapped around the thermometer and friction fit it in the opening. You will have to remove it anyway after each run. The hold down clamp is clumsy and negates months of approaching finesse. You might use a suggestion shown below on the attached sketch. SIicone works better than dough.
        If you lightly sand the lip of the inverted bowl and spread silicone there it will work very well. Make sure to place this bowl on really flat glass, mirror or furniture surface covered with oiled waxed paper. Otherwise it will cure unevenly and will leak. It looks nice as is, especially that shiny bowl. Call this still "Silver Cardinal."

         c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@...> wrote:

        pg

        I can be wrong I must say.
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
          It seems like all stainless still? I hope you have copper scourers as
          filling. Do you use RTV as lid gasket? I've been using fermentation
          bucket airlock washers for my thermometer sealing with good results.

          Greetz, riku

          --- In Distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:

          > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
          > couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready
          > test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

          > pg

          > etail.jpg
          >
          > The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
          > seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on
          the
          > sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid
          I'll
          > try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
          > mention. Sounds like a great solution.
          >
          > On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol resistant
          > gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point. Fight
          > now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
          > something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.
          >
          > -CX
        • c2h5oh_x
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
            I totally agree with you on the regarding the esthetics of the
            clamp. I'm not happy with the way it looks either. Your solution is
            excellent. I had a similar idea. But I have some future plans for
            this keg and I'm not quite ready to put more holes in it just yet.

            I have a friend that worked in the sanitary fittings industry for
            years and still has contacts. I just learned about this, otherwise I
            would have enlisted him sooner to help! Anyway, I am going to
            investigate the price of redoing the boiler "right" with a triclover
            fitting on top. I might have to sell off the current keg as a brew
            kettle and get a new one though.

            Regardless, the current incarnation should work well and I may find
            that it is adequate for the time being. (Though I do wish it looked
            better)

            Thanks for the suggestions and the sketch!.

            -CX

            --- In Distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

            > Here is what I would do:
            > No need for grommets. Use teflon tape wrapped around the
            thermometer and friction fit it in the opening. You will have to
            remove it anyway after each run. The hold down clamp is clumsy and
            negates months of approaching finesse. You might use a suggestion
            shown below on the attached sketch. SIicone works better than dough.
            > If you lightly sand the lip of the inverted bowl and spread
            silicone there it will work very well. Make sure to place this bowl
            on really flat glass, mirror or furniture surface covered with oiled
            waxed paper. Otherwise it will cure unevenly and will leak. It looks
            nice as is, especially that shiny bowl. Call this still "Silver
            Cardinal."
            > c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
            > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
            couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm ready to
            test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.
            > pg
            >
            > I can be wrong I must say.
            > Cheers, Alex...

          • c2h5oh_x
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
              THe picture is a bit desaturated. The column is in fact copper.
              Copper scrubbers as packing. Right now the lid gasket is cork, but
              I'm probably going to replace that with RTV.

              -CX

              --- In Distillers@y..., "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
              > It seems like all stainless still? I hope you have copper scourers
              as
              > filling. Do you use RTV as lid gasket? I've been using fermentation
              > bucket airlock washers for my thermometer sealing with good results.
              >
              > Greetz, riku
              >
              > --- In Distillers@y..., "c2h5oh_x" <c2h5oh_x@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Slowly but surely, my still is progressing. All I need now is a
              > > couple of fittings to attach it to the cooling water and I'm
              ready
              > > test. Here are some pictures of a test fitting.

              > > pg

              > > etail.jpg
              > >
              > > The "hold down" mechanism might look s a bit light-weight, but it
              > > seems to do the job. There is actually quite a bit of tention on
              > the
              > > sticks holding the lid down. If I find any leaks around the lid
              > I'll
              > > try some of that "dough gasket" stuff I've heard so many people
              > > mention. Sounds like a great solution.
              > >
              > > On a side note, does anyone know of a source for ethanol
              resistant
              > > gromets? I need a gromet for the thermometer insertion point.
              Fight
              > > now I'm just using one I made out of RTV silicone but I want
              > > something that looks a bit cleaner and is easier to replace.
              > >
              > > -CX
            • travellerwiz
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
                Just thought I would throw you some "Food for thought".. I came
                across a post either here or in the new_distillers group about using
                an igloo water cooler as the boiler. You might want to check it out
                if you are considering getting a new keg as a boiler. It really looks
                like the perfect solution. All stainless steel inside and insulated
                for both "Hot" or "Cold". I've been trying to source one out myself
                but haven't had any success. Anyway take a look at it, here is the
                link.
                http://www.igloocommercial.com/6-1-1-2-2_industries_construction.cfm