Re: [Distillers] Molecular Sieve?

  • Keith Addison
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      Anhydrous ethanol
      http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html#anhydrous

      >If you filter your ethanol through regular salt or lime it will
      >remove dissolved water.
      >I am not sure to what degree it will "dry" your alcohol.
      >
      > c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@...> wrote:
      >
      >Regardless, I'm still interested in creating anhydrous Ethanol as an exercise.
      >

      >I can be wrong I must say.
      >Cheers, Alex...
    • Ludwig
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002

        > In many cases, pure anhydrous is not the best fuel for four stoke
        > engines. (Some water actually improves performance!)

        Unless anhydrous alcohol is keep in a sealed container it will take
        water out of the air. I have read where it will delute itself down to
        180 proof.

        > 1. Is there a source for alcohol drying Molecular Sieve that sells
        > small quantities? (and will sell it to you with out your name ending
        > up on a "list")

        I have not contacted this company but here is an address.

        http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/adcoa/home.htm
        Adsorbents and Disiccants of America

        They sell "zeolite" if you want to search for it
        800-228-4124

        > Does anyone have experience running engines on Ethanol?

        > To burn 180 proof in a carb you will need to increase the main fuel
        > jets by 40 percent. As I understand it, in a fuel injection it might
        > be possible to just increase the system pressure. If not then bigger
        > injectors. The lower the proof under 180 the bigger the increase.
        > 180 proof burns better than 200

        As I understand it is possible to distill 200 proof by distilling under
        a vacuum. I have some idea, as yet unproven, on how to do this if you
        would want to email me off list.

        http://shopnow.netscape.com/