Re: [Distillers] Re: Rum

  • Nicholas Bracken
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 3, 2002
      I have done a number of rum distillations.
      I have gone from using 10kg feed grade molasses which was a total mistake.
      The fermentation stalled and the final yield was very low. I read on a
      distillery site that they pasteurise their raw molasses before fermenting it
      which kills any bad yeasts etc. Unfortunately I can't do this.
      The best way I have found is to use 5kg of white sugar and 2kg of black
      strap molasses.(the 2kg equates to about 1kg sugar) Per 21lt brew. Use a
      standard turbo and ferment as normal.
      I use a 'Spirits Unlimited' 21lt pot still and get 4 litres at 55% of
      pretty good rum. I still carbon it and leave it on toasted oak chips, this
      is most important! I have started to caramelise sugar to add colour but the
      toasted oak chips gives it a nice gold hue.
      It comes out almost identical to 'Mount Gay' Carribean rum all with no
      added flavourings.

      And the Mrs likes it!

      Cheers
      Nick

      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 28, 2009
        I have no idea where to get Clostridia bacteria, so I just add Indonesian ragi and Chinese jiuqu rice yeasts which are available to me in Chinese grocery stores. These provide wild tropical yeasts and bacteria.
        wal