RE: [Distillers] Molecular Sieve?

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      > This brings us to the topic of Molecular Sieve, which from all my
      > research to date seems the most simple way to "dry" ethanol. I have a
      > few questions for the group.

      There's a small section on different drying techniques at http://homedistiller.org/polish.htm#dry
      Sorry, but I havent tried any of the techniques myself.

      Tony
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002

        If you filter your ethanol through regular salt or lime it will remove dissolved water.
        I am not sure to what degree it will "dry" your alcohol.

         c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@...> wrote:

        Regardless, I'm still interested in creating anhydrous Ethanol as an exercise.

        I can be wrong I must say.
        Cheers, Alex...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Keith Addison
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
          Anhydrous ethanol
          http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html#anhydrous

          >If you filter your ethanol through regular salt or lime it will
          >remove dissolved water.
          >I am not sure to what degree it will "dry" your alcohol.
          >
          > c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@...> wrote:
          >
          >Regardless, I'm still interested in creating anhydrous Ethanol as an exercise.
          >

          >I can be wrong I must say.
          >Cheers, Alex...
        • Ludwig
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002

            > In many cases, pure anhydrous is not the best fuel for four stoke
            > engines. (Some water actually improves performance!)

            Unless anhydrous alcohol is keep in a sealed container it will take
            water out of the air. I have read where it will delute itself down to
            180 proof.

            > 1. Is there a source for alcohol drying Molecular Sieve that sells
            > small quantities? (and will sell it to you with out your name ending
            > up on a "list")

            I have not contacted this company but here is an address.

            http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/adcoa/home.htm
            Adsorbents and Disiccants of America

            They sell "zeolite" if you want to search for it
            800-228-4124

            > Does anyone have experience running engines on Ethanol?

            > To burn 180 proof in a carb you will need to increase the main fuel
            > jets by 40 percent. As I understand it, in a fuel injection it might
            > be possible to just increase the system pressure. If not then bigger
            > injectors. The lower the proof under 180 the bigger the increase.
            > 180 proof burns better than 200

            As I understand it is possible to distill 200 proof by distilling under
            a vacuum. I have some idea, as yet unproven, on how to do this if you
            would want to email me off list.

            http://shopnow.netscape.com/