Molecular Sieve?

  • c2h5oh_x
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
      I got into this whole game as much for my interest in alcohol for
      fuel as my interest in the drinkable stuff. My still is a proof of
      concept really; A test bed to get the feeling of distilling... the
      side effect being that I can drink the product if I like! In fact,
      the bulk of the "experiments" I have planned involve drinkable
      output. :-O

      In many cases, pure anhydrous is not the best fuel for four stoke
      engines. (Some water actually improves performance!) Regardless, I'm
      still interested in creating anhydrous Ethanol as an exercise. (It's
      needed when blending with petrol and other applications like Bio-
      Diesel. Also, RC plane fuel! I'd like to try running SOMETHING on
      ethanol... it's not gonna be my car, but I have several scale RC
      motors. They are two stroke, so they need oil in the fuel...)

      This brings us to the topic of Molecular Sieve, which from all my
      research to date seems the most simple way to "dry" ethanol. I have a
      few questions for the group.

      1. Is there a source for alcohol drying Molecular Sieve that sells
      small quantities? (and will sell it to you with out your name ending
      up on a "list")

      2. Can it be used to "dry" Methanol?

      3. Does anyone here have experience with Molecular Sieve material?

      4. Does anyone have experience running engines on Ethanol?

      thanks!

      -CX
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        > This brings us to the topic of Molecular Sieve, which from all my
        > research to date seems the most simple way to "dry" ethanol. I have a
        > few questions for the group.

        There's a small section on different drying techniques at http://homedistiller.org/polish.htm#dry
        Sorry, but I havent tried any of the techniques myself.

        Tony
      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002

          If you filter your ethanol through regular salt or lime it will remove dissolved water.
          I am not sure to what degree it will "dry" your alcohol.

           c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@...> wrote:

          Regardless, I'm still interested in creating anhydrous Ethanol as an exercise.

          I can be wrong I must say.
          Cheers, Alex...

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Keith Addison
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
            Anhydrous ethanol
            http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html#anhydrous

            >If you filter your ethanol through regular salt or lime it will
            >remove dissolved water.
            >I am not sure to what degree it will "dry" your alcohol.
            >
            > c2h5oh_x <c2h5oh_x@...> wrote:
            >
            >Regardless, I'm still interested in creating anhydrous Ethanol as an exercise.
            >

            >I can be wrong I must say.
            >Cheers, Alex...
          • Ludwig
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002

              > In many cases, pure anhydrous is not the best fuel for four stoke
              > engines. (Some water actually improves performance!)

              Unless anhydrous alcohol is keep in a sealed container it will take
              water out of the air. I have read where it will delute itself down to
              180 proof.

              > 1. Is there a source for alcohol drying Molecular Sieve that sells
              > small quantities? (and will sell it to you with out your name ending
              > up on a "list")

              I have not contacted this company but here is an address.

              http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/adcoa/home.htm
              Adsorbents and Disiccants of America

              They sell "zeolite" if you want to search for it
              800-228-4124

              > Does anyone have experience running engines on Ethanol?

              > To burn 180 proof in a carb you will need to increase the main fuel
              > jets by 40 percent. As I understand it, in a fuel injection it might
              > be possible to just increase the system pressure. If not then bigger
              > injectors. The lower the proof under 180 the bigger the increase.
              > 180 proof burns better than 200

              As I understand it is possible to distill 200 proof by distilling under
              a vacuum. I have some idea, as yet unproven, on how to do this if you
              would want to email me off list.

              http://shopnow.netscape.com/