Re: anybody include foreshots in their heads

  • Garry
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      When I do a 25L wash I always keep the first 200-300ml as heads and
      anything over 82c I keep as tails, usually about 150ml. I mix the
      heads and tails together and add them all into the next lot. This
      seems to work pretty good for me.
      Cheers
      Garry.

      --- In Distillers@y..., "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
      > after reading recent posts about discarding foreshots i am thinking
      > there is no real need to bother if you collect and reuse heads in
      > your wash. a sugar wash should contain no methanol so if i distill
      > 25litres and collect the first 800ml as heads all the ethyl acetate
      > and bad stuff should be in this first 800ml. i can just add to my
      > next batch and keep collecting and reusing the same 800ml each time
      > like Mike described the whiskey distilleries as doing. if i was to
      > collect say 1 litre would i have to worry about stabilising my
      column
      > prior to drawing distillate off? it seems to me that all of the bad
      > stuff would be in the first 1000ml. if you run it without
      > stablilising you will have to throw out more of the beginning of
      the
      > run (like a potstill) so why waste this distillate which will have
      > good ethanol mixed in with it.
      > after say 20 runs it may be worth stabilising and separating the
      bad
      > stuff after it has built up over all the runs
    • travellerwiz
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
        I'm with Gary.. I just finished distilling last night and I kept
        about 250-300 ml as heads. I noted that this had a really strong
        Moonshine smell. Everything after that was odorless nostral burning
        pure alcohol.. Since this is my first real clean run I'm really
        happy.. I thought I would never be able to get rid of that Moonshine
        smell.

        Now as to tails.. I don't collect anything as tails.. Once the
        temperature starts to rise I shut down and call it finished.. I
        figure that we are making 5 L of the stuff so why try and squeeze
        every bit out!!