Re: [Distillers] Sugar Wash - Impatient??

  • Adrian Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2002
      I thought about distilling it but was worried
      about it foaming up. I tried putting in some more
      yeast (good healthy starter) but it seems to
      have done more harm than good. At least i was
      getting a slooooooow fermentation before. The
      damn things stopped now!! I've tinkered with the
      acidity and am reluctant to add more nutrients as
      I don't want the 'blue' problem. I'll give it a
      few more days if it doesn't fire up again I'll
      distill it. I've got a Turbo on the way anyway.
      Maybe more successful.?

      Thanx

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
        In this case I would go ahead and distill. After distillation
        I add a little more sugar, nutrient, and yeast (after cooling).
        This way I don't pour the unfermented sugar down the drain.
        I have internal elements and I haven't had any problems burning the
        sugar. The wash for the next ferment does have a darker color.
        I'm sure some of the sugars are getting burned, but it doesn't
        stick to the element.

        -A

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Smith <adriansmith1@y...>

      • giddyup06@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
          Now here is a question. All the "work" I have ever done concerning good
          homebrew has sugar as the ends of hell when it comes to an adjutant as it
          increases quite a few by products. Why do you use sugar and not just
          straight grain? The same goes for beer.

          Chris
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002

            Once I had an experiment. I always add � of sediment from a sugar wash to my next brew plus 0.5L or so of the remaining wash. Generally it helps. This time I added fresh yeast and sugar to a 100% soup left from distilling the alcohol. After two days I had to pour it in the toilet... So, based on that I am a little skeptical about your advise without any extra measures. Lots of aerating, for example, because a boiled liquid practically has no dissolved oxygene in it :-)

            wrote:
            > Hi folks,
            >            I started a sugar wash off over 2
            > weeks ago and it had a starting gravity of 1110
            > at the moment it has fermented out to 1055. The
            > fermentation was rapid at first but has now
            > slowed down somewhat. It's gone from 1060 to 1055
            > in about two days. Is there any way to speed
            > things up or do I need to be patient. I've used
            > standard high alcohol wine yeast and an aquarium
            > heater to keep it at a constant 26 degrees
            > centigrade.
            >
            > Cheers.

            I can be wrong I must say.
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • andy_galewsky <andy@galewsky.net>
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
              I on the other have been doing this regularly with my brown sugar
              washes and have had great results. The result seems much more
              flavorful and smooth. From my understanding this is what the big
              boys do and in the whiskey industry is call sour mashing. From all
              my research the rum industry does it also. Not only does it save
              water for the industrail sized distillers it lowers the ph for the
              yeastie beasties.

              > Once I had an experiment. I always add ½ of sediment from a sugar
              wash to my next brew plus 0.5L or so of the remaining wash.
              Generally it helps. This time I added fresh yeast and sugar to a
              100% soup left from distilling the alcohol. After two days I had to
              pour it in the toilet... So, based on that I am a little skeptical
              about your advise without any extra measures. Lots of aerating, for
              example, because a boiled liquid practically has no dissolved
              oxygene in it :-)
            • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                The problem might have been the amount of backset that you used. Commercially its in the 15-30% region, with 40% as an extreme, not comprising 100% of the liquid. Theres some more details at http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm#sourmash

                Tony
              • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                  It's cheap, easy, and readily accessible.

                  -A

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                    I always boil the water when adding the sugar to get it to
                    dissolve easily. So there's not much difference between a
                    fresh batch and a rerun batch. I top up with fresh water
                    than I've run for a few seconds in the blender. The blender
                    whips the air into it quite nicely. I've used sediment
                    before, but the fermentation seems to perform just as well
                    with a little extra nutrient.

                    -A