anybody include foreshots in their heads

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      after reading recent posts about discarding foreshots i am thinking
      there is no real need to bother if you collect and reuse heads in
      your wash. a sugar wash should contain no methanol so if i distill
      25litres and collect the first 800ml as heads all the ethyl acetate
      and bad stuff should be in this first 800ml. i can just add to my
      next batch and keep collecting and reusing the same 800ml each time
      like Mike described the whiskey distilleries as doing. if i was to
      collect say 1 litre would i have to worry about stabilising my column
      prior to drawing distillate off? it seems to me that all of the bad
      stuff would be in the first 1000ml. if you run it without
      stablilising you will have to throw out more of the beginning of the
      run (like a potstill) so why waste this distillate which will have
      good ethanol mixed in with it.
      after say 20 runs it may be worth stabilising and separating the bad
      stuff after it has built up over all the runs
    • Garry
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        When I do a 25L wash I always keep the first 200-300ml as heads and
        anything over 82c I keep as tails, usually about 150ml. I mix the
        heads and tails together and add them all into the next lot. This
        seems to work pretty good for me.
        Cheers
        Garry.

        --- In Distillers@y..., "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
        > after reading recent posts about discarding foreshots i am thinking
        > there is no real need to bother if you collect and reuse heads in
        > your wash. a sugar wash should contain no methanol so if i distill
        > 25litres and collect the first 800ml as heads all the ethyl acetate
        > and bad stuff should be in this first 800ml. i can just add to my
        > next batch and keep collecting and reusing the same 800ml each time
        > like Mike described the whiskey distilleries as doing. if i was to
        > collect say 1 litre would i have to worry about stabilising my
        column
        > prior to drawing distillate off? it seems to me that all of the bad
        > stuff would be in the first 1000ml. if you run it without
        > stablilising you will have to throw out more of the beginning of
        the
        > run (like a potstill) so why waste this distillate which will have
        > good ethanol mixed in with it.
        > after say 20 runs it may be worth stabilising and separating the
        bad
        > stuff after it has built up over all the runs
      • travellerwiz
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
          I'm with Gary.. I just finished distilling last night and I kept
          about 250-300 ml as heads. I noted that this had a really strong
          Moonshine smell. Everything after that was odorless nostral burning
          pure alcohol.. Since this is my first real clean run I'm really
          happy.. I thought I would never be able to get rid of that Moonshine
          smell.

          Now as to tails.. I don't collect anything as tails.. Once the
          temperature starts to rise I shut down and call it finished.. I
          figure that we are making 5 L of the stuff so why try and squeeze
          every bit out!!