Sugar Wash - Impatient??

  • Adrian Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi folks,
      I started a sugar wash off over 2
      weeks ago and it had a starting gravity of 1110
      at the moment it has fermented out to 1055. The
      fermentation was rapid at first but has now
      slowed down somewhat. It's gone from 1060 to 1055
      in about two days. Is there any way to speed
      things up or do I need to be patient. I've used
      standard high alcohol wine yeast and an aquarium
      heater to keep it at a constant 26 degrees
      centigrade.

      Cheers.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • Ludwig
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
        I had a high gravity wash that was about the same as yours. It slowed
        down like you described and I was told to "rack" the yeast. To dump the
        wash from one container to another several times making big a splash as
        possible to aerate the wash.

        It didn't help mine, it finally just stopped. I even bubbled pure
        oxygen from my acetelene torch through the wash hoping it would help.
        Nothing.

        Adrian Smith wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        > I started a sugar wash off over 2
        > weeks ago and it had a starting gravity of 1110
        > at the moment it has fermented out to 1055. The
        > fermentation was rapid at first but has now
        > slowed down somewhat. It's gone from 1060 to 1055
        > in about two days. Is there any way to speed
        > things up or do I need to be patient. I've used
        > standard high alcohol wine yeast and an aquarium
        > heater to keep it at a constant 26 degrees
        > centigrade.
        >
        > Cheers.

        > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2658116.4039490.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https://www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>
        >

        > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
        > distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        http://shopnow.netscape.com/
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2002
          Did you add any nutrients with yeast? If not, get a packet of
          turboyeast with nutrients and pitch it again. Should be ready in few
          days.

          --- In Distillers@y..., Ludwig <Bluestar792@n...> wrote:
          > I had a high gravity wash that was about the same as yours. It
          slowed
          > down like you described and I was told to "rack" the yeast. To
          dump the
          > wash from one container to another several times making big a
          splash as
          > possible to aerate the wash.
          >
          > It didn't help mine, it finally just stopped. I even bubbled pure
          > oxygen from my acetelene torch through the wash hoping it would
          help.
          > Nothing.
          >
          > Adrian Smith wrote:
          >
          > > Hi folks,
          > > I started a sugar wash off over 2
          > > weeks ago and it had a starting gravity of 1110
          > > at the moment it has fermented out to 1055. The
          > > fermentation was rapid at first but has now
          > > slowed down somewhat. It's gone from 1060 to 1055
          > > in about two days. Is there any way to speed
          > > things up or do I need to be patient. I've used
          > > standard high alcohol wine yeast and an aquarium
          > > heater to keep it at a constant 26 degrees
          > > centigrade.
          > >
          > > Cheers.

          > > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2658116.4039490.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05041694:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https://www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG
          /g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          > > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
          > > distillers-unsubscribe@o...

          Service
          > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
          >

          > --
          > Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
          > http://shopnow.netscape.com/
        • BOKAKOB
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2002

            i dont think you can speed it up. you certainly can distill it if you dont want to wait.

             Adrian Smith <adriansmith1@...> wrote:

            Hi folks,
                       I started a sugar wash off over 2
            weeks ago and it had a starting gravity of 1110
            at the moment it has fermented out to 1055. The
            fermentation was rapid at first but has now
            slowed down somewhat. It's gone from 1060 to 1055
            in about two days. Is there any way to speed
            things up or do I need to be patient. I've used
            standard high alcohol wine yeast and an aquarium
            heater to keep it at a constant 26 degrees
            centigrade.

            Cheers.

            I can be wrong I must say.
            Cheers, Alex...

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Adrian Smith
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2002
              I thought about distilling it but was worried
              about it foaming up. I tried putting in some more
              yeast (good healthy starter) but it seems to
              have done more harm than good. At least i was
              getting a slooooooow fermentation before. The
              damn things stopped now!! I've tinkered with the
              acidity and am reluctant to add more nutrients as
              I don't want the 'blue' problem. I'll give it a
              few more days if it doesn't fire up again I'll
              distill it. I've got a Turbo on the way anyway.
              Maybe more successful.?

              Thanx

              http://uk.my.yahoo.com
            • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                In this case I would go ahead and distill. After distillation
                I add a little more sugar, nutrient, and yeast (after cooling).
                This way I don't pour the unfermented sugar down the drain.
                I have internal elements and I haven't had any problems burning the
                sugar. The wash for the next ferment does have a darker color.
                I'm sure some of the sugars are getting burned, but it doesn't
                stick to the element.

                -A

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Smith <adriansmith1@y...>

              • giddyup06@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                  Now here is a question. All the "work" I have ever done concerning good
                  homebrew has sugar as the ends of hell when it comes to an adjutant as it
                  increases quite a few by products. Why do you use sugar and not just
                  straight grain? The same goes for beer.

                  Chris
                • BOKAKOB
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002

                    Once I had an experiment. I always add � of sediment from a sugar wash to my next brew plus 0.5L or so of the remaining wash. Generally it helps. This time I added fresh yeast and sugar to a 100% soup left from distilling the alcohol. After two days I had to pour it in the toilet... So, based on that I am a little skeptical about your advise without any extra measures. Lots of aerating, for example, because a boiled liquid practically has no dissolved oxygene in it :-)

                    wrote:
                    > Hi folks,
                    >            I started a sugar wash off over 2
                    > weeks ago and it had a starting gravity of 1110
                    > at the moment it has fermented out to 1055. The
                    > fermentation was rapid at first but has now
                    > slowed down somewhat. It's gone from 1060 to 1055
                    > in about two days. Is there any way to speed
                    > things up or do I need to be patient. I've used
                    > standard high alcohol wine yeast and an aquarium
                    > heater to keep it at a constant 26 degrees
                    > centigrade.
                    >
                    > Cheers.

                    I can be wrong I must say.
                    Cheers, Alex...

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                  • andy_galewsky <andy@galewsky.net>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                      I on the other have been doing this regularly with my brown sugar
                      washes and have had great results. The result seems much more
                      flavorful and smooth. From my understanding this is what the big
                      boys do and in the whiskey industry is call sour mashing. From all
                      my research the rum industry does it also. Not only does it save
                      water for the industrail sized distillers it lowers the ph for the
                      yeastie beasties.

                      > Once I had an experiment. I always add ½ of sediment from a sugar
                      wash to my next brew plus 0.5L or so of the remaining wash.
                      Generally it helps. This time I added fresh yeast and sugar to a
                      100% soup left from distilling the alcohol. After two days I had to
                      pour it in the toilet... So, based on that I am a little skeptical
                      about your advise without any extra measures. Lots of aerating, for
                      example, because a boiled liquid practically has no dissolved
                      oxygene in it :-)
                    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                        The problem might have been the amount of backset that you used. Commercially its in the 15-30% region, with 40% as an extreme, not comprising 100% of the liquid. Theres some more details at http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm#sourmash

                        Tony
                      • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                          It's cheap, easy, and readily accessible.

                          -A

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                            I always boil the water when adding the sugar to get it to
                            dissolve easily. So there's not much difference between a
                            fresh batch and a rerun batch. I top up with fresh water
                            than I've run for a few seconds in the blender. The blender
                            whips the air into it quite nicely. I've used sediment
                            before, but the fermentation seems to perform just as well
                            with a little extra nutrient.

                            -A