Re: [Distillers] Re: my new air stripping still works! - this thread is the champion!

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 27, 2002

      Thank you for explanations. Time will show.

      I can be wrong I must say.
      Cheers, Alex...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 27, 2002
        --- In Distillers@y..., "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:

        > examining the finer details like air flow, temperature variations,
        > wash strength etc, will give empirical data as to how the still
        runs
        > and what the most important factors are, hence we can better
        > understand the design and improve it. i was thinking of sending
        > private posts to abbac/rkr (what is your name?) about the subject
        but
        > i thought others may like to see how things are going, people can
        > just skip by if uninterested. BTW my initial/ultimate goal is to
        > produce a high quality spirit cheaply, efficiently, and safely
        using
        > a cheap still.

        Real name is Riku, but I'd like to keep some anonymity since home
        distillation is illegal in my country. abbababbaccc is just a
        desperate attempt to find available username at yahoo (it also gets
        you 33% average on multiple choice tests). I wholeheartedly agree in
        that we need discussion. New ideas often emerge when we look at
        things from different perspective.

        > "It appears that the output volumes of such system will not even
        come
        > close to any real levels to use this method for a satisfactory
        output
        > unless someone likes to drink sour stew."
        > 1 litre a day at 40% is more than enough for me, this is what Gerts
        > still claims to produce. abba's still has a low output but could be
        > scaled up, it is only a experiment at the moment. the output is far
        > from a sour stew, mine tasted ok and cleaned up perfectly with

        That is correct, if my results were directly upscalable (they
        propably aren't) I'd get over 3 liters during first 24 hours at a
        strength of 30%. Also the taste was much better than the really dry
        wine I used for mash.

        > "How an air stripping still can even come close to a still
        producing
        > 90%-95% alcohol in a few hours?"
        > i spend about 8 hours in total to get about 6-7 litres of 95%
        > alcohol. with Gerts new still he gets 3 litres in 3 days BUT his
        > actual work time is much less than 8 hours since no supervision is
        > needed. i would think he spends less actual work time per bottle
        than
        > i do.

        It takes 5 minutes to set up my experiment, and a couple of days to
        wait for results. In my case having enough time is a problem (wife,
        kids, work etc.) so I try to make things as easy as possible. If I
        were to upscale my system it wouldn't take any longer to get going.

        > i have cider maturing at the moment that i hope to distill at a low
        > temperature to see what it tastes like. Gert described my air
        > stripping still as "highly advanced" compared to his so i cant wait
        > to see how simple his is. the other advantage is in producing a
        clear

        So you've been talking to Gert? After I did the math (see separate
        post) I wasn't that impressed of the performance of his system. The
        basic idea of having continuous stripper that requires no attention
        is really tempting though. I have an almost finished malt mash, maybe
        I should sacrifice one of my fermentation buckets after all. On the
        other hand, I could use some whiskey for next weekend as well...

        Greetz, riku
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 28, 2002
          Hi Riku
          i think if your exposed surface area is increased you will get an
          almost identical increase in output. area is the main governing
          factor in your still (all else bring the same) where kW power is the
          governing factor in a pot still. Gert wont give away the secrets to
          his still until christmas. i have had a few emails from him. he is
          very interested in the quality of distillate from my still and sent
          me his new yeast over for me to test in it. he sent a few emails with
          more clues and his still sounded like a still from Tonys site
          about "stills that are not stills". i sent him a link to Tony's site
          and he said he had tried those methods before but they were no good.
          he says it is so simple you will laugh and ask why you didnt think of
          it before. i am still thinking it could be a small heated bucket with
          wash within a large bucket. a cloth is draped into the wash on a mini
          clothes line so it draws the wash up it by capillary action. a small
          hand fan is placed inside the large bucket which increases
          evaporation off the cloth just like a clothes line. but this is
          pretty much as "advanced" as my still.
          will my cider endure the long wait till christmas? i'm getting
          thirsty ;)