have plenty of head for christmas

  • bj-fm@xxxxxx.xxx.xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 1999
      as the weather becomes hotter and hotter in the southern hemisphere
      pot distillers put less wash in the body of the vessel thereby allowing more
      head for particulates of the solid variety to not be entrained[carried over]
      into the distillate or if you have variable control throttle back a bit

      mike in new zealand what do you think of the comment in the gert strand book
      either page 22 or 32 about the short condenser,iv'e always used very long
      units with slow counter flow to ofset thermal shock

      tony ackland,same question,from a chemical engineering point of view

      survey----if it was legal to distil in your country what would you distil for christmas??????????? brandy from wine concentrate,whisky from grain,whisky from
      neutral spirit and flavour,gin ,what????????

      gert's book again,he advocates,along with standard and hyper type yeast,bakers yeast--yes bakers yeast,has anyone ever had that go tofull attenuation and did you have trouble rectifying out the undesirables????????????

      of course it's legal to talk about "it"
      many regards to all brian
    • bj-fm@xxxxxx.xxx.xx

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 1999
          >mike in new zealand what do you think of the comment in the gert strand
          book
          >either page 22 or 32 about the short condenser,iv'e always used very long
          >units with slow counter flow to ofset thermal shock

          Not a lot Brian. The column is barely long enough to establish equilibrium
          and I suspect, as he doesn't mention it, the column isn't insulated as it
          should be (the best laboratory columns and top ends are built like thermos
          flasks with the working bits enclosed in a nice cosy vacuum jacket). I'm
          not surprised he loses so much heat that he finds 60cm as much as he can
          handle. I also cannot understand how this idea for inducing early reflux by
          shoving cooling tubes through the bottom part of the column got a foothold,
          yet we see a lot of columns with this odd feature now. All it does in
          ensure that you don't get good separation. It makes for a very good pot
          still, but doesn't this defeat the idea of having a column? Effective
          separation takes elbow room and quite a bit of time for the bits and pieces
          to decide which side of the fence they want to be. It's a bit like a sports
          tournament where time and a lot of intermediate races are needed to weed out
          the top performers. It can't be either cramped or hurried. If anyone
          thinks you can get good separation in the first few cm of a column they had
          better go back to the drawing board. Nature don't act thataway. She's a
          lady and needs persuasion - and quite right too! Having said all that, Gert
          is a thoroughly nice guy and produces a terrific range of excellent
          essences. I'm sure that Ray will support me in confirming that I too am a
          thoroughly Nice Guy who would never, ever dream of flaming anyone!!!

          All the best,
          Mike
          Still attired tastefully in sackcloth and ashes