Aluminium in a reflux still and other questions

  • Yorg
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 1999
      I am looking at making a reflux still tower, and have a 35 lt aluminium pot and lid.
      I am only beginning to understand this subject so forgive me, but, 2 Questions really:

      With a reflux still, I take it you only get white spirit - that is you don't make whiskey with it. Since I'm not drinking the ferment a la beer brewing, anyone see a problem with using an aluminium pot?

      I would like to make whiskey - which I understand must be made in a pot still or a patent still (whatever that is). So what about using the aluminium pot here?

      Also, can anyone help me out with references to the making of whiskey at home - both process and still design?

      Thanks heaps,
      Yorg,
      Melbourne,
      Australia.
    • Ray Toms
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 1999
        Yorg
        There is no problem using aluminium in either the pot or the lid, many of our home stills sold in New Zealand use aluminium in this way with no sign of any problem in test results of the alcohol, however it
        is not advisable to use aluminium where it comes in direct contact with the alcohol such as in the through pipe of the condenser or in the tower as there is always the possibility of some leaching. I also
        don't see any problem in using an aluminium pot in a whisky still although copper is more traditional. The only problem we have found practically with aluminium pots is if you leave the wash in the pot after
        distilling for too long you do get a reaction and a gradual eating away of the aluminium until they develop pin holes and leak.
        Ray