test your still's taste with a water run!

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
      i did my first water run through my still last night. i only did it
      to check out my new power controller (which works great but i cant
      see what power is going through it with my ammeter). the distilled
      water tasted off. it tasted just like my spirits have all along. i
      got my last batch up to 94.5% but they still smelt bad (this very
      same smell). i had suspicions before since i passed charcoaled spirit
      through the still again and it didnt come out any better. the
      taste/smell is bland not sharp or acidic almost like "stale water" or
      rain water that has been in a bucket outside, "stagnant" is a way of
      describing it. no sulphur smell/taste at all, a sort of mouldy smell
      like a dank/damp room. i have cleaned the still before but never with
      acids etc. i always thought that hot alcohol vapours would clean the
      still itself but this is obviously not the case. i'm going to clean
      the stainless with caustic soda and the copper with hydrogen peroxide.
    • OzBoc
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
        Peter  - if you cure this problem  , could you please share it with us all  - as i have the same kind of taste- smell from mine occasionally ( or rather stronger in some runs the others ?  )

        thanks

        Frank

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
          Making distilled water taste nice is a very exacting thing. I doubt
          if you will achieve this on any distillation run,
          Howevever, distilling water should be your first still run. From
          this you will check on whether or not you have any leak s. Running
          at 100C is a lot different to running at 79c.
          Making alcohol is very easy! Anyone can do it!I am not prepared to
          send this answer because --- In Distillers@y..., "OzBoc"
          <sydneypumps@o...> wrote:
          > Peter - if you cure this problem , could you please share it
          with us all - as i have the same kind of taste- smell from mine
          occasionally ( or rather stronger in some runs the others ? )

          > thanks
          >
          > Frank

          Service.
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
            distilled water will not taste "nice" since it has no taste. i have
            bottles of it from a health shop and it is not nice to drink. bottled
            water tastes nice because of the minerals in it which give it a
            pleasant taste. but my distilled water tastes nasty even if i mix it
            with dilutable orange drinks i can taste it. it is the exact same off
            taste that my spirits have got. why do you say making distilled water
            is an exacting thing? does yours taste bad (off smells) or is it just
            unpleasant to taste (since it is tasteless)? my water quality is very
            good where i live and there is hardly any chlorine in it (winter time)

          • homedistiller
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
              --- In Distillers@y..., "peter_vcb" <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
              > i did my first water run through my still last night. i only did it
              > to check out my new power controller (which works great but i cant
              > see what power is going through it with my ammeter). the distilled
              > water tasted off. it tasted just like my spirits have all along. i
              > got my last batch up to 94.5% but they still smelt bad (this very
              > same smell). i had suspicions before since i passed charcoaled
              spirit
              > through the still again and it didnt come out any better. the
              > taste/smell is bland not sharp or acidic almost like "stale water"
              or
              > rain water that has been in a bucket outside, "stagnant" is a way
              of
              > describing it. no sulphur smell/taste at all, a sort of mouldy
              smell
              > like a dank/damp room. i have cleaned the still before but never
              with
              > acids etc. i always thought that hot alcohol vapours would clean
              the
              > still itself but this is obviously not the case. i'm going to clean
              > the stainless with caustic soda and the copper with hydrogen
              peroxide.

              Peter,

              Just some ideas that pop-up in my mind, reading your message.

              1) You could use an industrial passivating paste to clean the
              stainless steel. This paste is used after the welding of stainless
              steel to treat the welded area. It is based on a mixture of acids and
              does a VERY good job.

              2) You could also try a fast distillation run without scrubbers and
              see what that would give taste/smell-wise.

              3) Try somehow to better pinpoint the problem: the problem can't be
              everything.

              4) Distilled water tastes "stale" especially when it isn't aerated. I
              read somewhere that some distilled and aerated waters taste so good
              that they are bottled and sold for export. I also read on several
              places that aerating distilled alcohol can also be beneficial.

              Dirk
            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
                thanks Dirk

                i have some passivation past that i will use. i only thought
                afterwards that i should have narrowed it down to what the problem
                is. i suspect the scrubbers. i will try aerating the next lot and mix
                it with orange again. that is interesting about aerating alcohol
                though. i was also thinking if anybody adds minerals to vodka to give
                it a pleasant taste (like mineral water) e.g. adding lime. i know tea
                is disgusting made with lime free water.