Ian Smiley's Book

  • goyeast
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
      I have a question regarding Ian Smiley's cuts without giving away too
      much information (yes, I've purchased the book). When you're making
      the middle cut, why do you stop when the alcohol content is still so
      high? I know you're going by smell and taste in addition to percent
      alcohol, but it seems to me that you're throwing away a lot of flavor
      when you start the tails so soon.

      Regards,
      Scott
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
        goyeast  wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] Ian Smiley's Book

        I have a question regarding Ian Smiley's cuts without giving away too
        much information (yes, I've purchased the book).  When you're making
        the middle cut, why do you stop when the alcohol content is still so
        high?  I know you're going by smell and taste in addition to percent
        alcohol, but it seems to me that you're throwing away a lot of flavor
        when you start the tails so soon.

        Regards,
        Scott
        =========================
        Hi Scott,

        Depends on how much flavor you want.  Ian is aiming for a very palatable corn whiskey, and I know that he's done a lot of testing to get it just right.  The results are superb!  Your palate may prefer something a bit different, so by all means collect more tails if that suits you better.  In flavor, there's no such thing as "right".  Do you prefer your coffee with sugar?  If so, one lump or ten?  Of course, no alcohol or flavor is thrown away if you stop at Ian's recommended point.  It all goes back into the pot for the next batch, which may well be all the richer for it.

        Mike N

      • Zeke Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2002

          Without re-reading Ian's book,which is a great read IMHO,the 'flavor' you mention may not be of the desirable category,at least in Ian's opinion...with that said,you may like a flavor that others may not or vice-versa....experiment to see where YOU like to start the tails,end the heads etc....you can always re-distill anything you dont like...good luck...:>)

          >From: "goyeast"
          >Subject: [Distillers] Ian Smiley's Book
          >Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 04:32:20 -0000
          >
          >I have a question regarding Ian Smiley's cuts without giving away too.......................................
          >alcohol, but it seems to me that you're throwing away a lot of flavor
          >when you start the tails so soon.
          >
          >Regards,
          >Scott

          Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.� Join now! Click Here